Older Weber 3 burner gas grills, which one?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lakedawgs

Original poster
May 24, 2009
Central Indiana
Looking for an older Weber 3 burner grill to complement my smoker and Performer kettle. Looking at these two Spirits. Which one and why. Also, what is the difference between the older Spirits and Genesys grills?
Thanks for your wisdom!
Matt

Attachments

• spirit1.jpg
    spirit1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 707
  • spirit2.jpg
    spirit2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 712
I have a 2005 Silver A like the grill on left. It’s a two burner I got from a little old lady in a trailer park and is like new. I love the reversible cast iron grates and nice disposable grease pans. If you want to add a rotisserie find older Weber’s with burners running side to side or E to W as they say. For three burners try to find Genesis 1000- with the deep box and 13 flavorizer bars.

For three burners try to find Genesis 1000- with the deep box and 13 flavorizer bars.

I have used both the Genesis 1000 and the Genesis Silver B.
In my opinion the Silver B (2000 - 2001 year model) with shallower fire box is the better grill.
I used that old Silver B for both grilling and smoking for years with great results. I wish I had kept that grill and restored it.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the Genesis 1000. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice grill for grilling. But with that deeper box, the burners are too far away from the grates. And the grill has too much draft to use it for low and slow and is prone to flame outs
Then again, it's a grill not a smoker. :emoji_laughing:

I just happen to have an old Genesis 1000 sitting around the corner of the house. Just for giggles I should fire it up one of these days to see if my opinion will change.

P.S. It is not for sale! :emoji_wink:

Reactions: DD Alberta
Might have just stumbled across a deal. Not sure of the model. Getting it for free. Owner says 'the hose is bad'?? Pretty sure it is a Genesis but do not know anything about it. She says it looks great with no rust. Other pic is for reference.
Anyone know the model and rough year on this one?
gen1.jpg

Attachments

• gen2.jpg
    gen2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 617
Looking for an older Weber 3 burner grill to complement my smoker and Performer kettle. Looking at these two Spirits. Which one and why. Also, what is the difference between the older Spirits and Genesys grills?
Thanks for your wisdom!
Matt

Both of those grills are good. Though, I do like the spirit with the stainless side table.
The one with the molded side shelf looks like the plastic is showing signs of deterioration. As it gets worse, the plastic will shed the reinforcing fibers. YUCK!

Might have just stumbled across a deal. Not sure of the model. Getting it for free. Owner says 'the hose is bad'?? Pretty sure it is a Genesis but do not know anything about it. She says it looks great with no rust. Other pic is for reference.
Anyone know the model and rough year on this one? View attachment 399900

It is a Genesis 5000. Looks to be in great shape. Hard to say what year though. Does it still have the sticker with the model number and hopefully the date code? If does, you can look it up on Weber's site.

Going to try to pu today. Will be in a hatchback car so I am going to remove the lid and hope I can squeeze it in. Should be able to. Will run the sn when I get home. Will post pics in the morning hopefully.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Picked up the grill today. Not a 5000 like the stock pic posted but a 3000. He took off the bad hose and threw it away. Also took off the right side pot burner and tossed it, said 'it was bad'. Was not able to talk to him upon pickup, it was in the driveway. Flavorizer bars and burners are a pile of rust. New burners and bars will run about $110 - 120. Would need to replace the wood slats, no big deal and likely have wood stock in the garage. Seems to be a deep body, which I have read is good. Debating on restoring this grill.
Any way to test or check the manifolds to see of they are good?
Thoughts?
Thanks for the insight. Oh, have owned a charcoal Performer for years, but have been 'bit', I got the bug bad.
Matt

Anyone know the model and rough year on this one? View attachment 399900
That is identical to my 1995 NG Genesis, except yours has the side burner, and has the painted wood shelves (mine has teak). I've replaced a lot of things, but mine still works as well as when I got it 24 years ago. I use it several times a week.

In answer to your original question, the Summit, back then, was a much lower-end model. Having said that, if the burners in the Summit are indeed a little closer to the food, that would probably be a good thing. The only complaint I have about my Genesis is that even after a 15-20 minute preheat, it is just a little short of the heat to get a good sear. If I ever replace the grates again (I've replaced them once), I'll get CI to help solve that problem.

Thanks for your wisdom!
Matt
I have the same barbeque since 1998 - a Genesis Silver B. It works like new. You can't go wrong!

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
gill1.jpg
Not sure if I am going to restore or give to a buddy. Found this online for a good deal, just not exactly sure what it is. Cannot read the text on the Weber badge. Anyone tell me what this is?
Still not sure if a deep box or shallow box grill is better. I have a Performer I have smoked on for years, keeping it.
THANKS
Matt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky