Newer models 40's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevinbthgrouse

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 27, 2020
Antigo Wisconsin
My mes 30 was given to me no..w that I seem to be using it on a regular basis was thinking about something bigger...are the newer models the ticket...I would also like to get my smoke source into the smoker if possible..tray,tubes..my pulled pork was awesome but I thought it could of used more smoke the same with my Cornish gamehen... your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated

Ive necer had the 30, I started with the 40 and love it. Havent ventured into the tray/tube yet only because I add some bourbon barrel char to the reg chip loader with other wood chips. I have thought about getting a tray though

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
I have a older MES40 and really enjoy using it - plus being in a condo at the lake we cant have charcoal so this thing fits the bill.
After joining and reading up on this forum I bought a smoke tube and I think it made a big difference in the taste of the food. Less bitter/ acid maybe? Not sure how to describe it.
The other thing that is a MUST HAVE is a decent thermometer. My MES was reading about 15 or 20 degrees under and my butts were taking extremely long cook times.

I started with an MES-30. Then purchased one of the earlier MES-40s (Model 20070512). Trials and tribulations posted here. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-40-model-20070512-temperature-problems.151864/

I have a mailbox mod I use for long (pork butt/brisket) smokes. I like sleeping and letting the MES do the work. :emoji_sunglasses:. I recently switched from the 18" Amazen tube to the 7/12" adjustable tube. The 18" would give me about 12 hours of smoke. I've read meat tends to not absorb smoke after some temperature. (140? 160?) The 7/12 seems to burn quicker, which I assume means more smoke in the chamber. I have the 5x8 "row" tray, but have never used it in my MES-40. I use chips for short smokes.

Silly me. I saw the wheels and handle and thought "Wow, that's nice!"

I like the idea of separate elements to create smoke and cook. I don't know how hot the smoker would get using only the smoke element. I cold smoke (cured meats) at 95F.

It looks like Masterbuilt is building in a lot of features most of us have been adding. Up to 4 meat probes. Wifi/Bluetooth to an app.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-Bluetooth-Digital-Electric-Smoker/product-reviews/B07N7QHT6B has both positive and negative reviews. This line makes me shake my head.

"• My latest smoker died mid-July when rain got into the electronics and fried them"

In my case, I basically use my MES as an insulated box. I control temperature with an Auber. I log data with either an iGrill. I just purchased an inkbird 6 probe setup for monitoring temp. About $ 60 US. If I redo my temperature control, I'd probably start with an Inkbird.

I have an MES 40 Gen 1, about 5 years old. Love it! I too use an Auber PID recommended by DR K a few months ago. It has made all the difference. I also use the Inkbird 6 probe therms. Using the MB smoke generator (they don't seem to make anymore) add on. And the Amazen 3 row tray. I am able to trim wood chunks down to 1" square pieces and put them in the smoke generator instead of chips. The chunks burn much longer than chips and produce better tasting smoke. The tray uses pellets. I am able to use 2 different flavored woods at the same time when needed. I started 10 + years ago with an MES 30 and loved it til it died. The 40 is much bigger and made life much easier.
Good luck and stay safe.

I have the Inkbird...6 probe love it I also have the tubes and tray can't get the tray to keep going even in the mailbox mod..I built a mod sort of like the popcorn can mod but also can put a hot plate in it..my mes seems to only get up to about 250 for a max temp and that's on the high end probably 240s but set at max275 but actuall temp is 240s.. just looking for ideas and really my new hobby

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_165324314.jpg
    IMG_20200407_165324314.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200407_163350211.jpg
    IMG_20200407_163350211.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 13
I had similar problem, original MES controller would never get above 240-250'. I added the Aber PID controller, and using the MES as an insulated box. The Auber PID wired directly to the heating element and overrides the MES controller. I bypassed the high temp overload switch which is not recommended, but was easier in my case because I am not that technically adept. LOL. Since I am never away from home when using the smoker, I figure it's OK. There are very detailed instructions how to do it while keeping the high temp overload sensor in the system from Dr K and Tallbm I think.
Once I installed the Auber PID, temps went to 275 when needed, maintained temps needed when needed, etc. Took my cooking to a whole new level. I am forever grateful to the folks on this forum as always.

.my mes seems to only get up to about 250 for a max temp and that's on the high end probably 240s but set at max275 but actuall temp is 240s.. just looking for ideas and really my new hobby

First question ... are the pictures from last year? Isn't it kinda early for no snow where you live? :emoji_laughing: I left that part of the country in 1973. But seriously,

I'm assume you use the inkbird for monitoring chamber temperature. MB temperature sensors have a reputation for reading off, and generally low.

Next thing I'd look for is heat "leaks". My MES-40 has a glass front door. I have no idea why someone thinks this is a good idea. I covered mine with fireplace insulation. Prior to adding the insulation, I recorded these temps on the window (using infrared pyrometry).

MES40DoorTemps.png

Can you find hot spots on your MES?

And finally, if you use the MES controller that only goes to 275, have you considered using a different controller?

I've never thought about leak potential from the glass door. Mine is filthy from me never cleaning it in the past. I should check the temps at the glass. I never see smoke escaping anywhere around the door seal or the seal around the glass. But heat could escape. Great thought. Thanks.

We have snow now got about 5"yesterday..I have thought about a different controller... I'm happy to say mine really holds temperature well doesn't fluctuate much

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky