newbie frow ks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
my exhaust stack do i run it out the top of my cook chamber or is it better to run it out of the middle of the chamber then 45° up

What size opening from the firebox to smoke chamber is recommended (in square inches)......  I would say, you should weld the firebox to the smoke chamber....  Insert the FB about 8" into it, and have the top of the FB at the level you are planning to have the RF plate.....  be sure the RF plate has at least 1.5 times the FB / Smoke Chamber opening under it for good air flow... 

If you choose to have an external FB ducted to the smoke chamber, I don't know what to tell you......  A setup like that is more or less designed for a cold smoker because of the heat loss......   Dave

A member asked a question about my thinking and explanation above...... here is a drawing.....  click on it to make it larger....    

Last edited:
On the exhaust stack, I would have it below the top of the chamber. Either come out the side or extend it into the chamber from the top. My last build I had the exhaust on the sides and had no problem, my current build I extended the pipes staight down into the chamber 8" from the top/

Ok i think i will run it out the side....the metal wont need to be all that thick will it since its just the exaust?

Thanks... im getting excited its getting close couldn't have made it this far without all the help

Last edited:
Patience my smoking friend i never pay full price hell i never pay half price i have 63$ in my smoker so far

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky