newbie frow ks

Discussion in 'Reverse Flow' started by doodle2, Jul 12, 2012.

1. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

Starting a new smoker build. I have a 60 gallon air compressor i have read ALOT of the forums and have my hinge design i want to use know how to cut the door after i weld on hinges ect the easy stuff lol. Im wanting to do a reverse flow and on that i have 3 questions first instead of a plate across the bottom can i use a pipe across the bottom?? 2nd i know the fire box should be 1/3 the volume of the tank but i have no clue how to figure that so if anyone has done one of these ill take as much info as you can give me. 3rd how do u make the slide out shelves to keep them from falling down/out thanks and hope to hear from someone with info:yahoo:

2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Doodle, morning......  Have you used the Pit Calculator for your build ??  It is below for reference.... 

using the calculator for 60 gallons... I came up with a firebox 15x15x20 would be close.... the firebox intake of 5x3 would work....

If you used a pipe in place of a RF plate, an 8" pipe would be a little over sized and reduce the friction loss... I would make the pipe thin wall to allow for heat transfer due to the small surface area for heat transfer.... The exhaust stack comes out to about a 20" long 4" ID pipe.... 

For the shelf tipping cure... If using angle iron for the support, a bracket under the shelf that is under the angle iron support would work, or a rail on top of the angle to hold the shelf down when pulled out would work...

Don't forget some sort of drain to allow the fat to run out of the smoker.... Keep us in the loop so to speak...  Any more questions, we are here to help....  Dave

http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

Reverse flow explained.... This is a very informative thread with tons of knowledge....  

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/54542/building-an-italian-offset-smoker/20

3. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

When you say fire box intake are tou talking about the opening between the fire box and cook chamber needs to be 5in long 3 in wide? And i will be using a rf plate just thought the pipe would be a different design but the diagram makes sense that the plate is the best method im looking for plate to build the box with what thickness is adequate 1/4"?

4. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Air inlet to the firebox should be about 5 x 3....  firebox to smoke chamber should be about 9 x 4.....  

1/4" RF plate would be good....  more thermal mass for heat control....   Try the calculator.... play with the numbers.... there are so many variables that work, it is amazing...   Also, the calculator does not address the space below the RF plate nor at the end of the RF plate.... I recommend 1.5 times the area of the firebox to smoke chamber opening...  reason being, friction loss of the smoke/heat traveling the distance of the smoker and then turning 180 deg to head toward the stack....   That is just a guess.... no facts....  but using those exaggerated numbers surely won't hurt the air flow....  Dave

5. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

Cool i will give the calculator a try. Im looking forward to this build alot more since i found this site i will have alot of ?s that i know i can find answers to now thanks dave for your help im hoping within a week i will have all my materials to get going and get pictures up

6. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

Ok i will give the calculator a try i hope within a week i will have the rest of my materials and will get some pictures coming thanks dave for your help im sure i will have alot more questions

7. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

Ok i finally found a small trailer and my fire box when i get everything unloaded ill post some pictures of everything getting excited to get it built

8. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

I need help how do i upload photos on here so u guys can see my progress

9. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  10. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

Ok i uploaded some to my profile so u can atleast see them shows my trailer tank and start of ny fire box ill try to upload more thanks for your help

11. abaralnek

abaralnek Fire Starter

hey doodle,looks like your off to a good start.i just so happen to be building a RF using a 60g compressor tank also.ill be updating my build thread by this weekend so keep and eye for it.question on your tank,is yours 1/4" thick material or 1/8th? mine is 1/8th and i sure wish it was 1/4

12. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

Thanks ya its been fun so far.. As for the thickness im not sure i have cut off motor support and legs so far ill cut my door in next couple of days im hoping its 1/4 i will let u know as soon as i cut it

13. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

here is my trailer (dad paid 35$ for) and my tank in the background

14. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

here is my tank its a 60 gal compressor tank

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  15. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

got it tacked together all but the tank i have to cut my door and all that yet.. thats my big helper there

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  16. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

ok guys and gals i got some pictures posted since im new they are being held hope they get em up soon... PLEASE feel free to give opinions on my set up u wont hurt my feelings at all remember this is my first one ill take all the help i can get

17. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

18. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

i have my shelf made and braces for my tank tacked up its getting closer

19. doodle2

doodle2 Fire Starter

*Design Change*i am NOT doing a reverse flow dad decided he wants to keep this one simple i hope i can still get answers from u on this forum..... i need help after i cut my tank where the fire box connects now since it wont be rf will there be anything on the opening where the smoke comes in to my cook chamber

20. abaralnek

abaralnek Fire Starter

reverse flow build is pretty simple,why is he hesitant?