Newbie first smoking now, quick question!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dmger14

Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
I have goose breast and deer ham in the smoker, neither of which are too thick. I marinaded in italian dressing for two days, coated in steak spices and bacon.

Question: I put them on an hour and a half ago, trying to maintain the temperature at around 210* (had it higher and lower for a bit, but steady now). The probe already reads 130's to near 140 degrees for goose and deer. I was hoping to smoke them for 4 hours, but it appears they are heating up much quicker. I can cut the smoker back, but wanted to know, is this IT is normal after only an hour and a half?

The see-saw in temps for the first hour are due to my being new and learning the best way to maintain temps. Dummy me, it only just occurred to me a half hour ago that I can set the heat BETWEEN low and medium instead of having to be dead on either one.

I have the Smoky Mountain Outdoor Series, big unit. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

Thanks! Seems like the temps are stabilizing and not rising so fast now. For a while there I thought I was going to be done within 2 hours!

I do notice the smoke cut back a lot. I put some more chunks in it, but couldn't fit too many since the others in before still take up a lot of room, and presumably have more smoke to give off.

This is a good experience for me, success or failure. I sure hope the goose tastes good, because there's no sense in hunting for them otherwise, unless I can find someone who wants them.

you will also notice that your meat will cook faster because it is a thinner cut of meat...

being a new smoker is not a bad thing, we all were once... the great thing is you have all of us with experience to help you out

any more questions, just let us know

oh and wheres the q-view?...lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky