Pellet smoker question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

charleyd

Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
I currently have a MES 40 that I use for processing venison into hotsticks, bacon, ring bologna etc. I have an external fire box so I can burn wood and get better smoke at lower temps. I usually only add smoke for 1-2.5 hours but often have it in smoker for much longer than that until it hits temp. I am looking for a taller vertical smoker but most I’m finding are pellet. My question is how do I start smoke after my drying phase and turn smoke off after how long I want to add smoke. Seems like they all just auger pellets the entire time it’s on.

Reactions: JLeonard
Pellet smokers do use pellets the whole time to create heat and smoke. Most have a lower temp range in the 150-180 area. There is also the temp swing that many smokers/ovens have that make it tricky for sausage making. If you want to stay electric, look into Smokin-It smokers with PID control. There are several others also.

Reactions: JLeonard
As BigW said, you set the temp you want to smoke at with the controller.
The controller sets the time the auger is running to make smoker temp be close to the set temp.

My question is how do I start smoke after my drying phase and turn smoke off after how long I want to add smoke. Seems like they all just auger pellets the entire time it’s on.
Build a smokehouse and put an electric heat element in it with a PID controller then and a smoke generator. My smokehouse is propane fired and smoke generated with wood chunks smoldering in a cast iron skillet, I’ve since added a smoke generator which allows me to cold smoke as well.

With a pellet smoker, pellets burning in the firepot provide the heat and smoke. At low temps like for sausage, you actually get more smoke than running at higher temps.

The way I handle sausage making in a pellet smoker is to run at low temps until I have the color I want on my smoked sausages, then do the finish by poaching nekkid in sous vide.

Have you thought about using a smoke tube in the MES and not filling it all the way. Just the amount you want for the 1.5 hours? Could be another option

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky