New smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shannonc

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 5, 2017
Central Tx.
I haven't posted on here in forever. Been busy with another build. Some of y'all might remember my first one.
0331181543a.jpg
It was awesome smoker but we wanted something a little smaller. This new one is 24x40 cook chamber and 24x18 Firebox.
3/8 thick pipe. I built the 4x6 trailer for it and had it almost done when I decided to add a vertical cooker to it.
0728181301a.jpg
0830181824.jpg
0902181832.jpg
So I cut off the stacks and built the vertical. It's 22x22x36 1/4in plate.
0906181917.jpg
0908181423.jpg
0908181555.jpg
0908181614.jpg
I also fabricated an adjustable damper between the Firebox and cook chamber.
0903181230.jpg
0903181133a.jpg
This is where I'm at now. I'll keep the post updated with more pics as I get more done.

May I suggest you rethink the damper between the FB and CC... closing down the flow to the CC will result in 3 things.. Overheating the FB, increased fuel consumption and cooling of the CC...
We have found, members on this forum, an alternative works.... without increased fuel consumption and overheating of the FB...
An upper air inlet on the FB will satisfy those conditions... The upper air inlet will move heat from the FB to the CC... If the lower air inlet is adjusted to control the heat produced by the fuel, then the upper air inlet will / can cool the CC... making for a dual CC temp control...
Many on this forum use this concept, with very satisfactory results..
It's the same principle as a forced air furnace.... Fire / heat in the FB with a forced air fan to distribute that heat evenly throughout the home...
The lower air intake should be near the fuel grate or below it... the upper air inlet should be directly across from the FB/CC opening...
One member has found, with proper fire management, he can control his RF smoker at 80F to smoke cheeses...

Smoker Exh and Intakes 2.jpg Smoker exh and int 3 Ahumadora.jpg

Thanks for the advice Dave. I have a buddy that has the same thing on 2 of his competition pit's for years and they work great. Easy on fuel and has never overheated the Firebox. I have it on a butterfly valve handle that locks into different positions all the way to wide open.
Again I appreciate the advise.

I second Dave on that. I don't see anything good coming from a valve between the cook chamber and firebox.
Worry more about the main door sealing 100% will have more effect than anything.

I have seen 2 pits with it and they have been running great for years now with excellent temp control. That's why I incorporated it on this build. If it doesnt work then I can do away with it.

I don't doubt either one of yalls knowledge. But seeing proof it works is another thing. If I don't like it, its just metal. It can be cut out.

Now back to the build. I got the vertical door cut tonight and started on the hinges for it when another storm rolled in. Didn't get any pics but will have some in a day or so. I have to get some more material for the cooking grates and rails. I might go with bullet hinges on the vertical door.

I've been real busy on the smoker the past few weeks. It's pretty much done and painted. Still have to put the shelf on it but waiting to get fenders for the trailer first. Here's some pics.
0922181445.jpg 0922181446.jpg

Finally got the smoker finished. I've ran it 3 times now and it runs great. I was having about a 100* difference between the horizontal and vertical. My stack was too small. I cut it off and put 6 in pipe stack on it. Now I'm down to a 50* difference. And it is super easy on fuel. It will run 3-4 hours on the initial fire before adding another stick.
20181205_110735.jpg
20181205_110710.jpg

Attachments

• 20181205_110748.jpg
    20181205_110748.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 31
It looks like a great set up, nice job! You'll have tons of fun and good food with that!

Thanks Matt! Its been a lot of fun so far. I started on a customer pit this weekend. Same size but without the vertical.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky