Never Smoked Before!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sassysauls

Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Hello to all of the "Smokers" out there! My husband and I just purchased our first smoker-it's a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker that we bought through QVC for $199.00...Unfortunately we haven't been able to use it yet because the unit must have been damaged during shipping.
icon_evil.gif
The temperature setting will not go up at all when we turn it on. It stays on 32F and won't accept any other temperature. We have the timer working and counting down, but not the temperature! We called Masterbuilt and they are supposed to ship us a replacement control panel! I hope it hurries!!
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif
We are wondering if anyone knows of a good cookbook that is for electric smokers? I'm so glad I found this site!! How Exciting!!

Welcome to SMF...I'm not familiar with the MES but alot of peeps here have them and someone will be glad to help...There's lots of recipies around here just check them out.

Also check out Jeffs 5-Day eCourse, it's free and lots of good info on smoking in general.

This site IS a cook book. Well, not really, but there are alot of good recipies hidden in the forums. For instance, if u are wanting to make a pork butt, go check out the prok forum and read the threads there. You'll find something that will make your mouth water. We are glad that u found this site too. you may want to check out the free 5 day ecourse, there is alot of good info there. Also, post qview. We like to see what others have smoking. Alot of us use "no pictures=didnt happen" as a general rule, no matter how good your smoke sounds. Enjoy your time with us. Hope you get the new part soon, the suspense would be terrible.
brian

Welcome to SMF!....I have a MES & love it. There are lots on here that have the MES as well. There also was some previous posts about re-setting the control panel I think?..... You might try starting another thread stating you need MES help if you don't want to wait for a new control panel. People here are VERY helpful.

Welcome. My MES has caused an addiction to smoked food, You will probably have the same problem. I can't help with your mechanical problem. Like everyone said do Jeff's 5 day E-course and then search the site. You won't need a book.

Hi sassy, welcome to the SMF family. Like has been mentioned, you won't need a cook book. There are enough recipes here that you can do breakfast, lunch and supper with side dishes plus dessert!! How's that for a sweet deal??

Enjoy!

Welcome to SMF!! The greatest bunch of cooks on the net. I started out here by looking for sausage recipes and for an example I did pulled pork and Wicked beans for a visiting Preacher. His comment was that he had been to many churches where the ladies were good cooks but ours was the first where the men were too!!! Great recipes and helpful people you have found Nirvana the ultimate vortex of the arcane smoking arts!!

Welcome to the SMF, you have come to a mountain of a knowledge base on cooking/smoking/grilling, and much more. Just do a few searches and read on.

Welcome to the forum sassy!

I am pretty new here too and just got a Masterbuilt a few days ago & did my first smoke Wednesday/Thursday.

Did you call them and did they walk you through with things to try? I didn't have any problems with mine but took a few minutes to get the hang of the digital part.

When you press the temp button, you then set the temp you want using the up & down buttons & press the temp again, however it will flash back & forth between the current temp & the temp you set. If you've tried this then maybe it's a defective unit if you can't get it to change temps or read the outside (ambient) temp with the door open. Mine kept flashing at 62 but slowly started creeping up towards what I set it at.

Welcome to the SMF family, Sassy and husband! To echo what many others have mentioned, there are tons of great recipes on this forum that are better than any recipes in any commercial book you can buy IMHO.

Good luck, we're glad to have you!

Welcome to SMF! Lotsa great info from really super people...I gotta hand it to these guys & gals: they got it together.

You just need a temp gauge to monitor what your smoker is doing inside. Charcoal, electric or propane doesn't matter. Also, for your bigger pieces of meat, a thermometer with a external digital display is a really good idea. I just bought one myself, and it sounds like alot of the folks on this forum use them.

You're in the right place to get (any) outdoor cookung info. Again, welcome!!!

We are SOOOO excited! I did as everyone said and kept reading on this site and when I read that someone had bought their MES at Sam's I called the closest one and sure enough they had one!! We drove over and when we got it home we discovered it was the Stainless Steel 40" and what a HUGE difference in the 30" and 40"!! The 40" MES cost $31.00 more than what we had paid for the 30" but it sure seems to be worth it! We put it all together and are in the process of the three hour prep it calls for! I have already laid out chicken to smoke in it tomorrow!! THIS IS A GREAT SITE AND EVERYONE IS SOOO FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL!
cool.gif
icon_smile.gif
Looking forward to visiting this site daily!! Thanks to Everyone! And Happy Smokin'

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky