Smokiness Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

renegade13

Original poster
Feb 1, 2024
Hello,

I started smoking about 3 years ago with a Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett smoker. The reason I went with something so small is because it was just me and my wife living at home and she’s a vegetarian so I could do everything I needed on the small cooking space. I absolutely love this smoker and have very few complaints about it.

Fast forward to today and my two boys are now living at home with us again. This necessitated getting a larger smoker. I purchased a Pit Boss Sportsman 5-Series vertical smoker. I’ve done two relatively short sessions with the smoker so far; two whole chickens with vegetables and leg of lamb roast with vegetables. We all noticed the smoky flavor is significantly less pronounced in the vertical smoker than what we had in the Davy Crockett.

Is this normal? Everything in the 5-Series is operating correctly; it’s generating smoke and holding temperature very well. I’ve used the same pellets in both smokers, so that factor has been held constant.

Any thoughts? Were my expectations too high as I was hoping for the same smokiness from a big vertical smoker that I received from the Davy Crockett micro smoker?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

I got nothing for you R renegade13 other than welcome to the forum, glad you joined us. Just not familiar with those pellet grills. I think I would try an AmazeN smoke tube in the Pit Boss though. Especially at higher temperatures.

Reactions: BigW.
I have a Davy Crocker GMG smoker and it gives a very nice smoke profile. It’s smoke profile is very close to my reverse flow sick burner. I will also note that some guys did blind taste tests on a number of smokers and the Green Mountain was picked as one of the better smoke profiles. It has to do with GMGs PID programming. GMGs was one of the first PID controlled pellet smokers and they helped drive the entire market to go that way. Many people add a pellet tube or tray to get more smoke profile out of a pellet grill and that’s what I would suggest if you want a little more smoke from your new pit boss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colin1230
Welcome! Agree with the others, grab a tube and give that a try. Having a couple smokers for different jobs is a blessing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky