Need a Cornbread Recipe, or Two, or Ten

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
I've lived in the South, Texas, and the West Coast. I've traveled to all 50 states. The VAST majority of cornbread I've eaten was either dry or flavorless. I've baked cornbread exactly twice in my life, and the results were meh.

There are a cabillion recipes online. I don't have the desire to try them all. Does anybody have a recipe and technique for moist, flavorful cornbread? Sweet, savory, I don't care.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

Oh, and what prompted this was my wife asking questions about baking cornbread for a work pot luck she's having today. I bought her Martha White cornmeal and buttermilk but she felt both her attempts were failures. She took one of them to work.

Last edited:
Emily makes this one alot. It's pretty awesome. She adds a half cup of diced jalapenos for some heat which is the only thing she adds extra to the recipe.

We use hatch green chilies but any kind of diced green chilies will do
IMG_20220705_163413.jpg

This cornbread about as moist as you can get lol
IMG_20220704_200102.jpg

Last edited:
Here's mine:
1 cup whole grain flour
1 cup milled blue cornmeal
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking Powder

Beat egg & other liquid, mix in dry.
Grease tins with spray.
Bake 20-25 minutes @ 400F.

1666903775794.png

And some pics:

Last edited:
Reactions: noboundaries
Does anybody have a recipe and technique for moist, flavorful cornbread?
Masa Harina instead of corn meal . Have not used it for corn bread , but do make pancakes with it . They're fantastic .

Also , while your searching for a method , grab a box mix of Famous Dave's corn bread .

Reactions: Hockeydudde
Here's mine:
1 cup whole grain flour
1 cup milled blue cornmeal
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking Powder

Beat egg & other liquid, mix in dry.
Grease tins with spray.
Bake 20-25 minutes @ 400F.
Thanks, Loyd! I've never seen blue corn in my neck of the woods, so I'll have to look for it.

Reactions: LoydB
Masa Harina instead of corn meal . Have not used it for corn bread , but do make pancakes with it . They're fantastic .

Also , while your searching for a method , grab a box mix of Famous Dave's corn bread .
Thanks, Rich! Masa Harina is everywhere around here. I don't think I've ever bought any. That's about to change...and scratch corn pancakes just want on this weekend's breakfast plans.

And I can't say I've ever seen the FD's mix. I'm not a Jiffy mix fan because I taste something in it that I don't like. Hopefully it's not in Dave's. I do remember liking their cornbread at a restaurant we've been to years ago.

Reactions: chopsaw and zwiller
Here's the one she did not take to the potluck. Nice looking bake, but doughy and kinda dry, which I have no idea how that could happen. It had chilies and creamed corn in it and used a cultured buttermilk. Real tangy tasting. Now I've got to figure out how to use the leftovers. Not sure I want this in a turkey dressing.

20221027_131922.jpg

20221027_132021.jpg

Here's the one she did not take to the potluck. Nice looking bake, but doughy and kinda dry, which I have no idea how that could happen. It had chilies and creamed corn in it and used a cultured buttermilk. Real tangy tasting. Now I've got to figure out how to use the leftovers. Not sure I want this in a turkey dressing.

View attachment 647184

View attachment 647185
mike243 mike243 mad a cornbread salad for the Tennessee gathering last year that was bomb. A good way to use up leftover cornbread. Stuff was amazing. Maybe he'll share the recipe

Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky