My First Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've only used a binder once so far simply because they aren't as readily available in my area. I did eventually find Soya Concentrate, but I haven't really felt the need for it in my sausages. I rely more on good protein extraction to hold everything together.
I find binders useful in poultry sausages because of the leanness of the meat but don't use them in much else.

I find binders useful in poultry sausages because of the leanness of the meat but don't use them in much else.

I haven't done a chicken sausage yet. I've seen a few recipes for them, but nothings jumped out at me yet. What did you make?

I haven't done a chicken sausage yet. I've seen a few recipes for them, but nothings jumped out at me yet. What did you make?
This one from Taste of Artisan was pretty decent but I added some chopped sun dried tomato and some parmesan cheese to it.

• 2270 g chicken meat with skins Meat from whole chickens, deboned, with skins or boneless skin-on chicken thighs/legs.

• 30 g kosher salt
  • 6 g sugar
  • 60 g powdered buttermilk or fermento (I used powdered buttermilk)
  • 5 g black pepper
  • 2 g nutmeg
  • 6 g granulated onion
  • 6 g granulated garlic
  • 17 g fresh finely chopped sage or 1.5 Tbsp rubbed sage
  • 17 g fresh finely chopped parsley
  • 50 g fresh finely chopped or thinly sliced green onion
  • 120 ml chicken broth cold
  • 3 g cayenne pepper optional; add more to taste if desired

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Eric has a decent review of binders in his YouTube channel 2 Guys and a Cooler.
Do you happen have a link? I haven't seen that one and a quick google didn't bring it up.

Lol I've made poultry sausage once and added a boatload of bacon to ensure a good bind (made some XL Turkey Maple Bacon breakfast sausages). This is excellent info, as I'd love to make them again but use like half of the bacon.

Prick one of those things when they're cooking and it's like a greasy, pancake smelling version of Old Faithful.

Last edited:
Reactions: nlife and DougE
Do you happen have a link? I haven't seen that one and a quick google didn't bring it up.

Lol I've made poultry sausage once and added a boatload of bacon to ensure a good bind (made some XL Turkey Maple Bacon breakfast sausages). This is excellent info, as I'd love to make them again but use like half of the bacon.

Prick one of those things when they're cooking and it's like a greasy, pancake smelling version of Old Faithful.
You can get a decent bind with thighs. Grind skin and all for some fat content.

You can get a decent bind with thighs. Grind skin and all for some fat content.
Good to know I'll try that I have some chicken coming in this month. Lol I put in the entire turkey, skin and all.

I wanted to use the bacon for the flavour. I bought a box of "economy bacon", which turns out was a 5kg frozen block (that I assumed would be somewhat separated). After deboning an entire turkey I was already so frustrated I wasn't about to take time to separate it and wait for it to thaw so the whole thing went in. I'll have to go back in my notes to see what the ratio was.

But darned if it wasn't tasty tho. Just have to poke them before serving or the dinner table looks like the front of the Bellagio...

Reactions: nlife and DougE
Good to know I'll try that I have some chicken coming in this month. Lol I put in the entire turkey, skin and all.

I wanted to use the bacon for the flavour. I bought a box of "economy bacon", which turns out was a 5kg frozen block (that I assumed would be somewhat separated). After deboning an entire turkey I was already so frustrated I wasn't about to take time to separate it and wait for it to thaw so the whole thing went in. I'll have to go back in my notes to see what the ratio was.

But darned if it wasn't tasty tho. Just have to poke them before serving or the dinner table looks like the front of the Bellagio...
LOL I make a sausage called Taylor ham that uses bacon. I also use up my ground bacon trim in meat loaf now and then.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky