My First Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So basically the stuffing process is more difficult than it appears
It isn't that hard but does take a bit of practice to get a feel for it. Those guys you see on youtube with the sausage shooting off the horn like a dang fire hose have a ton of practice. I've stuffed a lot of sausage, but I am nowhere that fast. Yet.

Reactions: GatorAGR
Got it. So basically the stuffing process is more difficult than it appears. I may try a batch of breakfast sausage first, but I am really most interested in making smoked Texas style sausage so I'm sure I'll gravitate there quickly. I have to jump in the stuffing pool sooner or later. Afterall, I just bought a MES40 specifically for sausages so my wife's going to wonder what the heck I'm doing with it sooner or later :)
Not a bad plan.
I think you mentioned you are going to just buy some ground meat and start with. Not grinding will make things a little simpler but nothing better than having fresh ground from whole meat products.

Breakfast sausage is a good start. You can try a few things and take a few notes and work in like 2-5 pound increments.

I would say try some 1 pound batches and eat them and dial in on practices like :

1. Seasoning measuring and dialing in. You want to get a per weight amount of each seasoning you used and break it down per pound of sausage. Example: 10gm salt, 15gm black pepper, 5gm sage, etc. per pound of sausage meat. AVOID volume measurements (tablespoons, cups, teaspoons, etc.) Not every measuring device is the same and as you scale the slop/difference can matter, especially with salt.
  2. The all important practice of doing a "fry test" where you mix up some sausage but you go and take a silver dollar sized amount and fry it and eat it and see if it's too salty, too bland, etc. and tweak. Once you have it nailed this is the time to write down all of your seasoning measurements per pound as mentioned in step 1 and you can scale up or down as you like
  3. Get a good sausage recipe down then get some 1 pound poly ground meat bags (like shown in the posts before) and mix up like 5 pounds of the sausage, toss in your stuffer, and then stuff bags using your stuffer. This will get you playing with your stuffer, how it works, how your setup will be (table in the garage; kitchen table; kitchen counter; etc.) and other small scale stuffing process needs. One need will also be a bag taping machine (avoid hog rings) like this:
    $20 at amazon
    sddefault.jpg

4. This could all be done over like 2 weekends and you are eating great breakfast sausage the whole time AND you could even play around with some "loose" bratwurst recipes in like 1 pound increments and make patties with them so you nail steps 1 and 2 and prepare for stuffing that recipe into casings. It SUCKS to tackle proper casing prep, stuffing processes, stuffing setup/equipment, AND a 1st time sausage recipe all in one shot. So many areas that things can go wrong so if you can get the equipment/setup and recipe down on a bratwurst then all you have to do is fight with the other parts when you use casings and stuff it :D

Have you mentioned like what size batches you intend to make, in pounds?

I normally don't make less than 10-20 pounds at a time UNLESS I'm doing pure experimentation on a new seasoning/recipe (can't just trust what you read online or even on the instructions of a store bought seasoning, gotta test it and tweak). I usually work at a 1-5 pound batch size for that, where 1-2 pound batches is usually the seasoning dialing in steps because stuffing a bad recipe is demoralizing lol.

Not a bad plan.
I think you mentioned you are going to just buy some ground meat and start with. Not grinding will make things a little simpler but nothing better than having fresh ground from whole meat products.

Breakfast sausage is a good start. You can try a few things and take a few notes and work in like 2-5 pound increments.

I would say try some 1 pound batches and eat them and dial in on practices like :

1. Seasoning measuring and dialing in. You want to get a per weight amount of each seasoning you used and break it down per pound of sausage. Example: 10gm salt, 15gm black pepper, 5gm sage, etc. per pound of sausage meat. AVOID volume measurements (tablespoons, cups, teaspoons, etc.) Not every measuring device is the same and as you scale the slop/difference can matter, especially with salt.
  2. The all important practice of doing a "fry test" where you mix up some sausage but you go and take a silver dollar sized amount and fry it and eat it and see if it's too salty, too bland, etc. and tweak. Once you have it nailed this is the time to write down all of your seasoning measurements per pound as mentioned in step 1 and you can scale up or down as you like
  3. Get a good sausage recipe down then get some 1 pound poly ground meat bags (like shown in the posts before) and mix up like 5 pounds of the sausage, toss in your stuffer, and then stuff bags using your stuffer. This will get you playing with your stuffer, how it works, how your setup will be (table in the garage; kitchen table; kitchen counter; etc.) and other small scale stuffing process needs. One need will also be a bag taping machine (avoid hog rings) like this:
    $20 at amazon
    View attachment 688679
  4. This could all be done over like 2 weekends and you are eating great breakfast sausage the whole time AND you could even play around with some "loose" bratwurst recipes in like 1 pound increments and make patties with them so you nail steps 1 and 2 and prepare for stuffing that recipe into casings. It SUCKS to tackle proper casing prep, stuffing processes, stuffing setup/equipment, AND a 1st time sausage recipe all in one shot. So many areas that things can go wrong so if you can get the equipment/setup and recipe down on a bratwurst then all you have to do is fight with the other parts when you use casings and stuff it :D

Have you mentioned like what size batches you intend to make, in pounds?

I normally don't make less than 10-20 pounds at a time UNLESS I'm doing pure experimentation on a new seasoning/recipe (can't just trust what you read online or even on the instructions of a store bought seasoning, gotta test it and tweak). I usually work at a 1-5 pound batch size for that, where 1-2 pound batches is usually the seasoning dialing in steps because stuffing a bad recipe is demoralizing lol.
I completely agree with your suggestion...although I'm dying to make a jalepeno/cheese smoked sausage. Afterall, that was the whole purpose of me buying the MES :) I'm going to get a 5# stuffer and play around with some uncased breakfast links/patties. Probably start with very small 1-2# batches to dial stuff in and avoid waste. I am going to go to the butcher to have a butt ground up for me to start. Thanks again. Big help.

Reactions: nlife
I completely agree with your suggestion...although I'm dying to make a jalepeno/cheese smoked sausage. Afterall, that was the whole purpose of me buying the MES :) I'm going to get a 5# stuffer and play around with some uncased breakfast links/patties. Probably start with very small 1-2# batches to dial stuff in and avoid waste. I am going to go to the butcher to have a butt ground up for me to start. Thanks again. Big help.
Good plan.

I could easily see that along with your 1st round of breakfast sausage you also do a "loose" version of your jalapeno/cheese sausage recipe and verify it tastes good in patty form.

The key thing to understand is that in patty form, you are only looking that it tastes good, isn't too salty, or too bland. You can tweak amounts of jalapeno, cheese, etc. as well if you want more heat or cheese.
When you stuff and smoke the sausage the flavor will not be the same BUT if tastes "good" in patty form, you can pretty much bet it will be good to go in smokes sausage form.
You just don't know how exactly how the flavors will develop and change when it is smoked, and this is fine.

Afterall you are cooking it a completely different way AND adding all the smoke flavor to it, so yeah it will change, and usually for the better!
Then at this point you start tweaking your recipe to affect the flavors of the smoked sausage and you are enjoying good food through every iteration vs having a disaster or 2 lol.

It's taken me like 4-5 iterations on sausage before to get it where I liked it. This even includes changing up the wood smoke or wood ratios I use.
Like I've found I like my sausages done with about 70% Apple and 30% Hickory.
My Pastrami (whole meat or ground meat sausage like version) with 100% Maple.
etc. etc.

You get the idea. It's a fun process when you start dialing it in and tasty to eat all the versions along the way to the perfect one :D

Well you are head strong, I’ll give you that. But if you insist on a smoked sausage then if you post up what your recipe and ingredients are, equipment etc… we can help walk you through. The first thing I’ll recommend is don’t buy high temp cheese. Buy cheddar as sharp as you can, this is dry enough to work just fine, we will have bumps in the road but if you are willing to make that effort I’m sure most of us will help guide you along.

Jalapeno Cheddar Smokies were my gateway sausage. It's what I started with after picking up a kitchenaid grinder/stuffer attachment for my stand mixer. I watched a bunch of Youtube videos, did a bunch of searching around online and jumped in headfirst.

It escalated pretty quickly from there....

Kitchenaid grinder worked ok, but the stuffer was terrible. I got a few links made with collagen casings, but then the cheese quickly plugged the kidney plates and stopped stuffing altogether. Frustrated with it all, I found a vertical stuffer here in town and made the jump. I found out how much easier it was. My son and I hammered out about 10ish pounds in the same amount of time it took me to do a handful of links with the KA. Of course the speed of the stuffer meant that I needed to be able to grind more meat so I returned the attachment and picked up a dedicated grinder.

I wasn't new to smoking so that was straight forward.

After having some rather chewy casings, I made the leap to natural casings. That started as a disaster, but by then I had found this forum and was able to get it sorted out with the help of the fine folks here.

If you do decide to go all in and give it a try, I'd just suggest a smaller batch. I hate it when I have to throw out any food, let alone 10# or more.

Reactions: GatorAGR and tallbm
Jalapeno Cheddar Smokies were my gateway sausage. It's what I started with after picking up a kitchenaid grinder/stuffer attachment for my stand mixer. I watched a bunch of Youtube videos, did a bunch of searching around online and jumped in headfirst.

It escalated pretty quickly from there....

Kitchenaid grinder worked ok, but the stuffer was terrible. I got a few links made with collagen casings, but then the cheese quickly plugged the kidney plates and stopped stuffing altogether. Frustrated with it all, I found a vertical stuffer here in town and made the jump. I found out how much easier it was. My son and I hammered out about 10ish pounds in the same amount of time it took me to do a handful of links with the KA. Of course the speed of the stuffer meant that I needed to be able to grind more meat so I returned the attachment and picked up a dedicated grinder.

I wasn't new to smoking so that was straight forward.

After having some rather chewy casings, I made the leap to natural casings. That started as a disaster, but by then I had found this forum and was able to get it sorted out with the help of the fine folks here.

If you do decide to go all in and give it a try, I'd just suggest a smaller batch. I hate it when I have to throw out any food, let alone 10# or more.
Love it. I do now plan to do a little test run with some breakfast sausage as mentioned above. I'll likely just use a pre-made seasoning pack to eliminate that variable for now. Knowing me though, I'll be struggling with some natural casings within a few weeks :emoji_joy: . I'm not scared of some mishaps so long as they aren't too costly (wasted meat). It's all part of the process of learning. I'm sure I'll have my "disasters" along the way and that's fine. Thanks again for all the input.

Love it. I do now plan to do a little test run with some breakfast sausage as mentioned above. I'll likely just use a pre-made seasoning pack to eliminate that variable for now. Knowing me though, I'll be struggling with some natural casings within a few weeks :emoji_joy: . I'm not scared of some mishaps so long as they aren't too costly (wasted meat). It's all part of the process of learning. I'm sure I'll have my "disasters" along the way and that's fine. Thanks again for all the input.

I'd suggest looking at a few different recipes posted by folks around here. Lots of good starting points for seasoning. I'm sure there's a few package mixes out there that are decent, but I tend to find them too salty.

I've tried Duncan Henry's Country Style breakfast sausage and the family really enjoys it. I haven't tried the mild version yet. Duncan is easy to find on Youtube (Google Duncan Henry Breakfast Sausage and you'll find him). He's a commercial butcher here in Canada and gives a pretty decent run down of the process. In fact, started with his Jalapeno Cheddar Smokies.

Country Style Breakfast sausage

All measurements are grams per kilogram

Salt 19g/kg
Black Pepper 1g/kg
White Pepper 1.5g/kg
Sage 2g/kg
Chilli Flake/Cayanne 1g/kg
Sugar 3g/kg
Thyme 1g/kg
Binder 10g/kg (I've never used binders. Just ensure you get good protein extraction)
Water 100g/kg

Mild Breakfast Sausage

Salt 18g/kg
White Pepper 1.5g/kg
sugar 2g/kg
Nutmeg 0.5g/kg
Coriander 0.5g/kg
Onion Powder 3g/kg
Celery Powder 0.5g/kg
Binder 10g/kg (I've never used binders. Just ensure you get good protein extraction)
Water 100g/kg

I'd suggest looking at a few different recipes posted by folks around here. Lots of good starting points for seasoning. I'm sure there's a few package mixes out there that are decent, but I tend to find them too salty.

I've tried Duncan Henry's Country Style breakfast sausage and the family really enjoys it. I haven't tried the mild version yet. Duncan is easy to find on Youtube (Google Duncan Henry Breakfast Sausage and you'll find him). He's a commercial butcher here in Canada and gives a pretty decent run down of the process. In fact, started with his Jalapeno Cheddar Smokies.

Country Style Breakfast sausage

All measurements are grams per kilogram

Salt 19g/kg
Black Pepper 1g/kg
White Pepper 1.5g/kg
Sage 2g/kg
Chilli Flake/Cayanne 1g/kg
Sugar 3g/kg
Thyme 1g/kg
Water 100g/kg

Mild Breakfast Sausage

Salt 18g/kg
White Pepper 1.5g/kg
sugar 2g/kg
Nutmeg 0.5g/kg
Coriander 0.5g/kg
Onion Powder 3g/kg
Celery Powder 0.5g/kg
Water 100g/kg
Thanks! I did note Chudd's BBQ from one of his video as well. For binders, do you use milk powder? Also his includes MSG. Thoughts?
I'll give these try!

So basically the stuffing process is more difficult than it appears
Not only that, but getting the protein extraction and mixing it enough so you get those proteins to denature enough that the meat will bind. Without a good bind, the sausage will not fuse together when cooked....much better to make that mistake on a fresh sausage than a smoke sausage.

I posted up a breakfast sausage I do.

Thanks! I did note Chudd's BBQ from one of his video as well. For binders, do you use milk powder? Also his includes MSG. Thoughts?
I'll give these try!
I didn't find much benefit to MSG but YMMV. I do not use binders in most of the sausage I make. They aren't really necessary.

The key to getting a good bind is proper protein extraction, and keeping the meat cold during grinding and mixing so you don't have fat smearing going on. I keep my meat at about 30 to 32°F.

I'll give these try!
I don’t recommend you start out with a binder. I suggest you learn to make a proper sausage bind first, then if you want to play with binders you can, but you need to know why, exactly, you are using that binder. Not just using it like a crutch. No offense, but if you want advice for an instant gratification sausage recipe or process, I’m personally out of the conversation. This isn’t the Betty Crocker of the smoking world. But I do love helping people learn the steps.

Reactions: nlife and DougE
Not a bad plan.

I didn't catch this. One problem you may see with buying pre-ground pork is that it doesn't have enough fat, and it is also possible that whoever ground it did so at too high a temp ......... smeared fat.

Not saying this is to dissuade you, but more to tell you that you need to be in control of the whole process from solid muscle to finished sausage to eliminate any possible problems through the process.
I've tried Duncan Henry's Country Style breakfast sausage and the family really enjoys it. I haven't tried the mild version yet.
I haven't made that particular recipe but I am subbed to his channel. I really enjoy the Marianski March series he does each year.

I put MSG in almost everything :emoji_laughing:

The others have you well-covered on the binder.
Have you tried I+G (disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate)? I use it some and it does more than MSG ever thought about as far as bringing out umami. Some have reported a somewhat artificial sweetener aftertaste but I haven't.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
Have you tried I+G (disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate)? I use it some and it does more than MSG ever thought about as far as bringing out umami. Some have reported a somewhat artificial sweetener aftertaste but I haven't.
I haven't been able to find it anywhere for sale up north (without insane prices) unfortunately so no. May have to expand my search.

I did however, recently discover that those are the main ingredients in Maggi, Soni might try adding that in a small dose.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE
I'll give these try!

I've only used a binder once so far simply because they aren't as readily available in my area. I did eventually find Soya Concentrate, but I haven't really felt the need for it in my sausages. I rely more on good protein extraction to hold everything together.

I haven't tried Chudd's BBQ breakfast sausages, but I do enjoy the content.

Eric has a decent review of binders in his YouTube channel 2 Guys and a Cooler.

I haven't made that particular recipe but I am subbed to his channel. I really enjoy the Marianski March series he does each year.

I've watched all the Marianski March vids he has as well. It was a big part of the reason I picked up the books to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougE and GatorAGR
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky