My First Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Certainly...
The easiest way is to convert pounds to kilograms. The metric system is on a 10 point scale so it is easy to ratio into percentages. Take the pounds of meat and multiply by 454g.; then multiply by 3%.

Certainly...
The easiest way is to convert pounds to kilograms. The metric system is on a 10 point scale so it is easy to ratio into percentages. Take the pounds of meat and multiply by 454g.; then multiply by 3%.
Just checking my math again so 1lb 454g x 3% I get 13.63g of water is this correct? sorry in advance. Jeff

So the test butt was 17.73 lbs split with my friend. My spices I ordered from Walton's didn't get here so we made the one SmokinEdge gave me and also the 3 JD clones Regular, Maple, Hot All where great. When we where almost done the doorbell rang and yep the mailman dropped my spices from Walton's off LMAO. Did not use the stuffer this round. But I told my friend I wish I had a motorized one so when I do stuff it would be easy. He said you do get a socket and your drill gun lmao so I did and it works great anyone every try this See pics?? Thanks again Everyone for the help and in put I will be making more real soon. Jeff

Attachments

• 20231011_154048.jpg
    20231011_154048.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231011_154148.jpg
    20231011_154148.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20231012_083129.jpg
    20231012_083129.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 25
So the test butt was 17.73 lbs split with my friend. My spices I ordered from Walton's didn't get here so we made the one SmokinEdge gave me and also the 3 JD clones Regular, Maple, Hot All where great. When we where almost done the doorbell rang and yep the mailman dropped my spices from Walton's off LMAO. Did not use the stuffer this round. But I told my friend I wish I had a motorized one so when I do stuff it would be easy. He said you do get a socket and your drill gun lmao so I did and it works great anyone every try this See pics?? Thanks again Everyone for the help and in put I will be making more real soon. Jeff
Nice job man!

If you see yourself doing a bunch of grinding and ground sausage then a 1000ct of white poly meat bags would be a good thing to shop for when the holiday sales come.
Why 1000ct? Well you'll be set for life and if you get/have a freezer you may end up grinding and bagging 100lbs of meat a year between pork butt grind, sausage, and burger grind (briskets go on sale here every couple of months for burger grind). So, this would hold you over for 10 years, and you could always split the cost with your buddy if he wants :P

Why the white ones with no print on them? So you can stuff anything you like in them and mark it up with a sharpie marker as to what it is.

Also you can used colored tape along with what you write on the bag to help quickly identify what ground stuff is in the meat bag.

1000ct White Poly bags:

Colored Poly Bag Sealing Tape:

Finally, don't sneeze at 2 pound poly bags. I've seen where 2 pound bags are cheaper than 1 pound poly bags. It is nice to have the option to stuff 2 pounds so the operation moves faster AND you can always just stuff 1 pound into a 2 pound bag and trim the excess bag plastic.
The bag sealing tape machines usually come with a built in blade that can cut the excess bag after stuffing anyhow so no change in the operation at all.

Anyhow, I'll quite rambling now. I just wanted to share a ton of lessons learned I've had through my grinding, bagging, sausage journey over the years. I just recently got to the point of 1000ct bags I can write on and using the colored tape after a member here turned me on to the great tape idea :D

Nice job man!

If you see yourself doing a bunch of grinding and ground sausage then a 1000ct of white poly meat bags would be a good thing to shop for when the holiday sales come.
Why 1000ct? Well you'll be set for life and if you get/have a freezer you may end up grinding and bagging 100lbs of meat a year between pork butt grind, sausage, and burger grind (briskets go on sale here every couple of months for burger grind). So, this would hold you over for 10 years, and you could always split the cost with your buddy if he wants :P

Why the white ones with no print on them? So you can stuff anything you like in them and mark it up with a sharpie marker as to what it is.

Also you can used colored tape along with what you write on the bag to help quickly identify what ground stuff is in the meat bag.

1000ct White Poly bags:

Colored Poly Bag Sealing Tape:

Finally, don't sneeze at 2 pound poly bags. I've seen where 2 pound bags are cheaper than 1 pound poly bags. It is nice to have the option to stuff 2 pounds so the operation moves faster AND you can always just stuff 1 pound into a 2 pound bag and trim the excess bag plastic.
The bag sealing tape machines usually come with a built in blade that can cut the excess bag after stuffing anyhow so no change in the operation at all.

Anyhow, I'll quite rambling now. I just wanted to share a ton of lessons learned I've had through my grinding, bagging, sausage journey over the years. I just recently got to the point of 1000ct bags I can write on and using the colored tape after a member here turned me on to the great tape idea :D
Thanks!! I like the bag idea I used the vac seal bags when I put it in the freezer. how do these bags keep air out with no vacuum seal? Jeff

Thanks!! I like the bag idea I used the vac seal bags when I put it in the freezer. how do these bags keep air out with no vacuum seal? Jeff

When you fill the bag you just put it up to the stuffing horn like a casing and then crank into it and feed the meat/sausage into it, so very little air gets in while doing that.

When you seal the bag you just squeeze the bag flush to the top of the meat and twist the big a good bit so you get a mostly air tight twist going and then use the tape machine to tape the "twist" of the bag in place.

Here is a clear bag example:

I twist much more and I try to get the tape down where the green arrow is pointing. In any case, when you do your best, you may have just a little air in the top and when you open the meat you just toss that tiny pinch of meat out as it basically protected the rest of the meat below from the air above :D

1697145520950.png

Tape Machine:
61fK3engc5L._SX466_.jpg

I've had wild game meat last years without issue in these bags like this. Only had to toss that top pinch of meat out in the worse case :D

Reactions: Worble7
When you fill the bag you just put it up to the stuffing horn like a casing and then crank into it and feed the meat/sausage into it, so very little air gets in while doing that.

When you seal the bag you just squeeze the bag flush to the top of the meat and twist the big a good bit so you get a mostly air tight twist going and then use the tape machine to tape the "twist" of the bag in place.

Here is a clear bag example:

I twist much more and I try to get the tape down where the green arrow is pointing. In any case, when you do your best, you may have just a little air in the top and when you open the meat you just toss that tiny pinch of meat out as it basically protected the rest of the meat below from the air above :D

View attachment 678334

Tape Machine:
View attachment 678335

I've had wild game meat last years without issue in these bags like this. Only had to toss that top pinch of meat out in the worse case :D
Thanks Jeff

Reactions: tallbm
Fairly new to the forum and found this awesome thread. Why should I start with fresh sausage as opposed to smoked? What types of sausages are considered fresh? Like breakfast patties?

Fairly new to the forum and found this awesome thread. Why should I start with fresh sausage as opposed to smoked? What types of sausages are considered fresh? Like breakfast patties?
Bratwurst and Italian would be examples of fresh sausage, as well as breakfast like you mentioned. Honestly, I would start with what you said simply because you will learn how to mix to get good protein extraction. Then move on to cased fresh sausages, then cured/smoked.

Bratwurst and Italian would be examples of fresh sausage, as well as breakfast like you mentioned. Honestly, I would start with what you said simply because you will learn how to mix to get good protein extraction. Then move on to cased fresh sausages, then cured/smoked.
So what makes a bratwurst easier to make than a smoked sausage? Still using casings correct? And why do they not require curing salt? Cook faster?

So what makes a bratwurst easier to make than a smoked sausage? Still using casings correct? And why do they not require curing salt? Cook faster?
Well, both are similar. To me it was just easier to do fresh first and get the process down before investing the time in smoked sausage. You're still out the cost of the meat and casings if you mess up, but not the additional time it takes to do smoked.

Unlike smoked sausages, which are smoked at low temps, fresh sausages are cooked at higher temps and don't stay in the danger zone long enough to require cure.

Well, both are similar. To me it was just easier to do fresh first and get the process down before investing the time in smoked sausage. You're still out the cost of the meat and casings if you mess up, but not the additional time it takes to do smoked.

Unlike smoked sausages, which are smoked at low temps, fresh sausages are cooked at higher temps and don't stay in the danger zone long enough to require cure.
Great info DougE DougE . I'm still just making fresh sausage but that pretty much sums it up. Getting some experience before investing more time and money into the process.

Reactions: tallbm and DougE
Doug DougE DougE had great explanation.
Are you experienced with curing and / or stuffing meat? If not, then stick with bulk patty) fresh sausage to start. Cured meat is not as simple as adding pink salt (cure #1 salt, not Himalayan pink salt) to fresh sausage and thinking you are good. I've been curing meat for 10 years and learn something new every cure.
My wife's favorite sausage is a Jimmy Dean hot and sage clone that is a fresh and bulk (patty).
All sausage (both fresh and cured) can be be made into patties. Cured patties can be smoked, but it is very tedious. Stuffing sausage is a big learning curve, too. The U-Turd (sic) videos that make it look easy are not always accurate on the learning curve.

The guys are giving great answers.

Making Brats (fresh, not cured) means you grind, mix up, stuff in castings, and then grill/cook. No long drawn out smoking process like with a cured sausage.
They do not require curing salt because they were made to be cooked up hot and fast like on the grill, in a skillet, etc. and never intended to be a smoked sausage.
Fresh sausage will always be faster from starting to eating because there is no smoking process involved. It's simply throw on a grill, skillet, oven, etc. and go :D

I always found it easiest to think of Fresh Sausages as ones you throw on the grill, if they are in casings.
No smoking or anything like that. So Brats and Italian sausage, etc. are like that. These sausages don't contain cure#1 because they don't need it due to not being smoked, just cooked up immediately vs in a low heat environment for hours up on hours which would be bad for sausage without cure#1.

Breakfast sausage is an even easier fresh sausage because its "loose" vs being put in casings. This means no need stuff into casings. You could literally just vacuum seal 1 pound batches. Now it may make sense to make a bunch and stuff it into 1 pound poly ground meat bags and freeze it. So now it is kinda similar to the 1 pounders you buy at the store but instead looks like this:
9622.jpg

Cured Sausage (not fresh) has cure#1 in it and is almost always stuffed in some kind of casing (natural hog/lamb, fibrous, cellulose, etc.) and is then smoked in the smoker. It needs cure#1 to be smoked so it doesn't go bad at those low heat temps for how long it takes to smoke up and be ready to eat.

These sausages are things like Polish Sausage, Summer Sausage, Pork Franks/Hot Dogs, Bologna, etc.

I personally stuff a bunch of cured franks and vac seal them. Then i can smoke them later or USUALLY I just throw them on the grill like a fresh sausage and they are amazing. Gives me the option to go either way (smoked or grilled immediately) with them, where I can only do the "grill immediately" option with my fresh Brats.

So in short, Fresh Sausage = no cure#1, and Cured Sausage = cure#1 added.

Let me know if this all makes sense :D

Got it. So basically the stuffing process is more difficult than it appears. I may try a batch of breakfast sausage first, but I am really most interested in making smoked Texas style sausage so I'm sure I'll gravitate there quickly. I have to jump in the stuffing pool sooner or later. Afterall, I just bought a MES40 specifically for sausages so my wife's going to wonder what the heck I'm doing with it sooner or later :)

Stuffing really isn't all that difficult either, just takes a bit of practice and some specialized gear. I lucked out and started making sausage with someone who used make them as a kid, but there's lots of video tutorials out there to help.

Last year I took a sausage making class to level-up my skills - the place I went to also offers a video course of the material. Costs a couple bucks, but I'll absolutely vouch for the quality:

To start off you can also just roll up the meat into a "sausage" shape and freeze or cook later (or smoke, if you go the smoked sausage route.)

As to your question in the other thread about how to know when it's cooked, the first thing you're going to want to do is pick up a good instant read thermometer. I highly recommend the ThermoWorks brand. The Thermopop is a great budget model, if you want to splurge look at the Thermapen Classic or Thermapen One.

Last edited:
Reactions: GatorAGR
Stuffing really isn't all that difficult either, just takes a bit of practice and some specialized gear. I lucked out and started making sausage with someone who used make them as a kid, but there's lots of video tutorials out there to help.

Last year I took a sausage making class to level-up my skills - the place I went to also offers a video course of the material. Costs a couple bucks, but I'll absolutely vouch for the quality:

To start off you can also just roll up the meat into a "sausage" shape and freeze or cook later (or smoke, if you go the smoked sausage route.

As to your question in the other thread about how to know when it's cooked, the first thing you're going to want to do is pick up a good instant read thermometer. I highly recommend the ThermoWorks brand. The Thermopop is a great budget model, if you want to splurge look at the Thermapen Classic or Thermapen One.
Thanks! Confirms what I was thinking. I realize my "when is it done question" wasn't my best effort. I've been smoking larger meats for years so I guess I should have assumed to just use my thermapen, but I really thought I was missing something in the equation. It seemed too obvious :) After reading all the comments, I really think it's just the stuffing process that will be the biggest challenge and I need to learn that at some point regardless. I'll still probably make a small batch of breakfast sausage just to get the process down. I've been meaning to take a local sausage making class, but they aren't advertised very well so I have to keep checking websites. Thanks again.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky