Mom’s “Mexican Casserole”

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Mom turns 76 on Monday. I did a brisket last month for dad’s 76th. Was talking to my brother the day and was discussing what to do for moms b-day. He said she has been talking about her Mexican casserole she used to make all the time, but it had gotten to where she couldn’t do it anymore. I said, no worries i got this…Got her to send me a pic of her 40 yr old recipe card.
IMG_0387.jpeg

Gathered my supplies….
IMG_1693.jpeg

And ended up making a double batch since my cousin and his wife (also her birthday) were down visiting. Followed the recipe card and just doubled everything.
IMG_1694.jpeg

Ready to go in the oven.
IMG_1695.jpeg

Out of the oven…
IMG_1696.jpeg

The innards. oh, that is a aluminum serving pan like the restaraunts use for catering..It’s huge! Almost didn’t fit in the oven.
and a plated shot…
IMG_1697.jpeg

Yeah, i ate two plates!
bmudd14474 bmudd14474 count this as my pop up submission!

Thanks for looking.
Jim

Oh, and my pic of the supplies is what i used for 1 batch. Mom said that over the years she played with the recipe and found that this is what worked best. The chili seasoning can Be adjusted to your taste. Personally i would have went hotter, but had some heat sensitive folks.

Jim

My goodness !! I'd tear that up Jim . One of the best plates I've seen on here .
Awesome work .

WOW Jim , first, Happy Happy to your mom.

I can see hurting myself with a couple plates of that.

I have never heard of Cheddar Cheese Soup. Have to look for that, must be a south of the border product.
Because I go nuts over liquid nacho cheese.

David

Oh hot damn looks good. Happy birthday to both of them.

Dang Jim, that looks awesome! You nailed it! And happy birthday wishes to the ladies as well!

Ryan

OMG... You can bet I will look for the cheese soup as well and make this... YummmmYummm

Wife makes a taco soup which we use Fritos on top...

How long do ya figure it took at 350 degrees ??

Reactions: JLeonard
Yep, she said the duty was now mine to make it!

Jim
Jim, that look's KILL'ER!!!!!
I bookmarked your Ma's recipe, to make soon, it looks and sounds awesome.

Out of my two brothers, I'm the one that Mom trusts in the kitchen. I love cooking her old recipes, which are very vague seeing that she is 100% Dego/Sicilian. There is a lot of a pinch of this, a palmful of that type of thing, but I normally get super close to the way she used to make it, probably because she taught me how to cook.

Nice work, bruth'a.
Dan.

• Love
Reactions: JLeonard
Jim first awesome you take the time to celebrate your parents like you do. My grandma used to make a similar dish and it was a fav when I was a kid. Lastly DUDE that is a phenomenal plated shot!! That's magazine worthy and up there with any throwdown shot anyone has posted in the past. Very nice

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky