Masterbuilt JMSS question(s)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Central PA Cowboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Central PA
So, I decided to start small and cheap and bought this smoker for about $40 at Lowe's. I wanted to get something cheaper just in case I wasn't a fan of smoking. Well, after 2 times I am a huge fan and will continue to try and smoke at least once a week.

I do have a question about this particular smoker, which I was not really able to find too much info about besides doing some modifications to it.

Both times I've smoked, the heat will only get up to about 175. I am using a charcoal chimney and letting the coals get hot. I am also throwing the wood on the coals without soaking them for more heat.

I have done chicken both times and have had to cook it either in the oven or on the grill after about 2-3 hours to get the internal temp of the chicken up.

Besides modifications, can anyone give me some ideas of what could work? Coals/wood ratios, let it heat up longer, etc.

Thank you all for the help! At least I can say I acquired one thing from this website. Billbo's BBQ sauce recipe.

Just saw this thread. I don't know much about this smoker other than what I've read on lowes site. How much charcoal Are you using? Are you letting the charcoal ash over before you pour it out of the chimney? Is the vent wide open or partially closed?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky