Temp dip after wrapping ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlajones

Original poster
Sep 3, 2023
Hey All,

I am new to smoking meats. I don’t have anything fancy to smoke my meats in so I use my charcoal grille and just offset the coals and wood on 1 side of the grille.

Often enough, when smoking ribs, I try to follow the 3.2.1 method but I feel the internal temperature matters more than the time. Today, my ribs got up to 167 so I pulled them and wrapped them in butcher paper. Laid them bone side up and the temp dropped to 152. It stayed at 152 for quite some time and I think I’m about an hour from when I wrapped and they’re currently 155.

Did I do something wrong? The heat inside the grille is consistent at around 235. Is there something I should or could have done differently?

Opening a grill, removing the ribs, time to wrap, opening the grill again to put back in will zap grill temp. Ribs are thin so they probably loose some temp as well. The hard part is actually getting a good temp reading off of ribs given the thin nature and fat content. I assume you've had satisfactory results with this method before? Probably nothing wrong, just keep going and keep the lid shut.

Opening a grill, removing the ribs, time to wrap, opening the grill again to put back in will zap grill temp. Ribs are thin so they probably loose some temp as well. The hard part is actually getting a good temp reading off of ribs given the thin nature and fat content. I assume you've had satisfactory results with this method before? Probably nothing wrong, just keep going and keep the lid shut.
I have had satisfactory before, yes. The internal temp has dropped on me before but it has not dropped this low and taken this long to get back up before today. I only open the lid to spray once an hour before wrapping. I rarely need to add more coal or wood and still maintain proper and consistent grill temp.

Maybe as simple as every piece of meat can be different. Hopefully you are back at temp and end up with good eats!

Reactions: jlajones
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky