Lesa b’day dinner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Lesa’s b’day is the 21st. Asked her if she wanted to go out, she said “No! You cook the best steak why go out.” With that kind of endorsement we stayed home.
Had these in the freezer from one of our Home Place Pastures meat deliveries.
87A0DC8A-B646-42DD-ABF1-E3610052EB52.jpeg
They marked them as Coulotte steaks, you may know them as Picanha. Dosed em up with kosher salt and CBP and let them chill in the fridge for a few hours.
1BF0A49C-A72C-4D20-80B7-6BA7F67E708E.jpeg
Onto the kettle with the vortex flipped with the big side up. A small piece of maple to add a little flavor. Let them run offset until temps got close to 140 degrees. Then onto the hot side for a little sear.
While they were resting I dried the scallops and heated a skillet.
E32FFE6E-301F-4543-AB59-BDC3C3E2B3F7.jpeg
Never cooked them before, and I can tell you Gordon Ramsey would have cussed me a blue streak. And it was bag of frozen from Aldi for $15 so I wasnt out much. We’ll try them at a restaurant so we can some comparison next time.
34DAEF26-7D13-46F2-B0ED-53AA099B361C.jpeg
Plated shot with the steak, scallops, and oven roasted taters.
89DD1B01-FB18-4EC5-A983-B730F28C3812.jpeg
And as tx smoker tx smoker says, gotta have a cut shot! Steaks were very tender and had a great beefy flavor. All in all a good meal. Need work on my scallops but they were edible.
Thanks for stopping by.

Jim

Happy birthday Lesa! Meal looks incredible Jim. Funny how kettle cooked steak is better than going out, but it’s a fact for sure. Well done for sure.

Reactions: JLeonard
Very, very nice Jim!! Makes me sorry you missed cooking my B'day dinner last month :emoji_laughing: Absolutely beautiful cook on that meat. Picture perfect my friend.
Need work on my scallops but they were edible
Scallops can be tricky but I have the faith you'll nail them next time.

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
First off thanks for the kind words and B'day wishes for SWMBO.

You know this was a good meal, but she will not allow this to be her gift, lol. " Just saying "

David
And she got her birthday present a couple of weeks ago. She loves the "crunchy" ice you can get at some restaurants. She found a countertop ice maker that makes 30 pounds of it a day. It was half off on amazon so she ordered it "for her birthday". Now I just gotta figure out how to connect it into the water feed line for the fridge.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky