I Don't Say No to a Neighbor.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

martin1950

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Hartford. S/W Michigan
For years now my neighbor has been nice enough to make sure my long driveway is plowed during the winter. And here in S/W MI. that means a lot of snow. So when he asked me to do him a little favor I didn't hesitate to say yes. He had friends coming and he wanted some P.P. for a picnic party, piece of cake. He showed up the next day with a nice little 9# bone in butt AND a 20# bag of apple pellets AND a case of "BUD" in a bottle, game on. So the nite before he wanted it I rubbed the butt down with mustard, brown sugar and a healthy dusting on Tony's. The next day I brought my Pit Boss 820 to life and took 8hrs to slowly cooked up the sweetest, juiciest and most tender PP I've ever done. Between all of the apple juice spritzing, the brown sugar and the apple smoke you could tell I have a sweet tooth. I don't know if it's a good thing or not but now I have a few new friends that really liked my smoked PP. I even found a good use for an old shallow broiler pan.

20190520_050501.jpg 20190520_163544.jpg 20190520_181715.jpg

Fantastic looking PP. It's always nice when neighbors help each other out.

Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: martin1950
Great story and great looking PP! Nice work you are and have good neighbors! I think its not common to have great neighbors...I am lucky to have them too, but I have shared stories with work people and they look at me like I live in Mayberry or something... I love that you are able to share needs with your neighbor! It makes the word better.

minor high-jack of thread warning.
For example - I was removing the grass and dirt from my parking strip and replacing with rock - single handed. after the grass and dirt was out the 26 tons of rock was delivered. shortly there after a neighbor i never met from a few houses down drove up kinda eyed the situation. I expected a complaint about blocking the street...he walks up and says "looks like a big job...I might have a bobcat available and few guys..." I was blown away! I asked if he wanted to be reimbursed or anything he said no way, just helping a neighbor in need. Sure enough guys just walked up with shovels and eventually the bobcat showed to finish the job. Met a bunch of new neighbors and really felt good about the good will and humanity of our community. none of them would accept anything in return. My wife made some yummy treats and we delivered them a few days later. There are still good people in the world.

oh yes, and if any of my neighbor are in need - I am right there. Gotta keep paying it forward. And not everyone has a snowblower.

This is what "Community" is all about!!!
We're blessed here as well. We've had great neighbors since we moved here! We have block party get-togethers. We did Christmas the past few years as a food pantry drive. Bobbie is a FANTASTIC cook and traditional Polish concoctions are her speciality (Warsaw Raspberry Bomb Tort - 7 layers of raspberry butter - need I say more) Now that we're Smoking meat it'll be the additional summer Brisket party.

I really wish we had neighbors like you.
I will admit, this is the only place I have lived that is like this. Everyone on the street waves when they drive by, we all know each other for a block in all directions, know everyone's dog by name. And when people need help, the offers pour in. from day one. I was moving in (many years ago) and people we pulling over to introduce themselves and say hello. it took me by surprise at first. I came from a townhouse complex where I lived for almost ten years and knew no one.

have hope - there are places like this and there are good people.

Prior to Wisconsin we lived/worked in Seattle. There, it was a standing joke that UPS would be the one to discover that we were dead.
As much as I hate winter's here I'll never leave. We've FINALLY found HOME, COMMUNITY, RELATIONSHIPS.

I really like the sound of your PP. Sounds delicious.
POINT
I'm pretty lucky too. Our only neighbor uses his tractor to keep both our yards clear, and plows our shared half mile long driveway. As soon as the snow melts and the grass starts to grow, I fire up the lawnmower and look after both sides of the driveway grass. Both of us are always available to help the other any time another pair of hands are needed. His wife has chickens and gives us more than we can possibly eat, and when they're away, Miss Linda looks after her flock. Sure makes life a lot better.
Gary

This is what "Community" is all about!!!
We're blessed here as well. We've had great neighbors since we moved here! We have block party get-togethers. We did Christmas the past few years as a food pantry drive. Bobbie is a FANTASTIC cook and traditional Polish concoctions are her speciality (Warsaw Raspberry Bomb Tort - 7 layers of raspberry butter - need I say more) Now that we're Smoking meat it'll be the additional summer Brisket party.

The next time Bobbie makes that tort, don't even thinks about it. Just post it in Desserts. It sounds absolutely delicious.
Gary

I will admit, this is the only place I have lived that is like this. Everyone on the street waves when they drive by, we all know each other for a block in all directions, know everyone's dog by name. And when people need help, the offers pour in. from day one. I was moving in (many years ago) and people we pulling over to introduce themselves and say hello. it took me by surprise at first. I came from a townhouse complex where I lived for almost ten years and knew no one.

have hope - there are places like this and there are good people.

I grew up in a tiny community where everyone was like family to each other. We all went to school with each other, our parents were all friends, everyone attended backyard parties and pulled together during emergencies. I was very blessed to be raised in a community like that.

I now live in a big city far from home, and no one here even waves while driving down the street. I only have one extremely nosy and bossy neighbor that talks to me. lol

Good neighbors are hard to beat. When my wife and I moved into our home 2 years ago I had the bright idea to back the U-Haul up right to the front porch. Everything was going fine until I hit a soft spot in the ground where some old trees were removed and the decaying roots had left a void in the soil. I sunk that sucker good! After about 5 minutes one of my neighbors drove by and noticed my predicament. Pretty soon I had several neighbors with shovels digging around the tires so we could wedge boards under them for traction. None would accept payment but I did recently smoke up some ribs as a belated thank you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky