Hickory Fired Sirloin Roast On The Santa Maria: WOW!! (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Took the new neighbors out on the boat Saturday. The original plan was to do a quick steak dinner when we got back to the house. By the time we got back all of us were pretty well whipped from the heat. It was wicked hot. Neighbors just headed home and Tracy and I headed for the pool. After a quick discussion before they left we decided to do dinner Sunday (yesterday) instead of Saturday so we could have a bit more time to work out a decent meal and be able to enjoy it. Looked through the freezer and decided to do a sirloin roast on the Santa Maria. Since I had more time to work with I figured I'd make make a little nicer meal, but still kinda basic. Turned out to be an epic meal when all was said and done.

The roast
023.jpg

A nice dose of my beef rub
024.jpg

Cut up some taters, boiled them, mixed with butter, minced garlic, salt, and pepper then into a large CI skillet
015.jpg

Drizzle with beef gravy
016.jpg

Top with cheddar cheese and set off to the side
022.jpg

Came up with a crazy idea for appetizers. Took about 6 oz. cream cheese then mixed in some finely chopped scallions, dill, kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Looks kinda ugly but it was really tasty
018.jpg

I'd sliced a nice batch of dried beef that morning so got out a pack of that. Put the cream cheese mixture on the slices of dried beef and roll up
019.jpg

After rolling them up, place on a fresh celery stalk. Here's the appetizer plate. I ran out of room on the platter so the last 4 were without celery. These were amazingly good!!!
021.jpg

Decided to make some sliced Portabellas in a port wine reduction.
025.jpg

Folks relaxing in the pool while I'm slaving away :emoji_anguished: I did get some pool time, I just want everybody to feel sorry for me :emoji_wink:
026.jpg

Y'all know what this is!!
028.jpg

While the fire is getting going I put together the Caparese salads with fresh basil Tracy just picked from her herb garden
030.jpg

Roast going on the grill
032.jpg

About 20 minutes in it's time for a flip. At this point I check the temp at the grate. It's running 785 degrees. Exactly what I want...super hot for a nice sear
033.jpg

Skillet with the taters on the grill
034.jpg

Roast at 122 IT. Bring it in the house and tent it to finish. Time to get everything else ready to go. With the high residual heat I'm guessing it'll finish out at about 130 to 132
035.jpg

Made the balsamic reduction for the Caparese salads and dress them
039.jpg

Taters all done
041.jpg

Slice the roast. OMG!! So tender and juicy inside with a nice crunch on the outside. This is exactly what I was shooting for when I decided to go this route.
036.jpg

The whole spread. Mushrooms are in the small red bowl
044.jpg

Folks are looking kinda happy, but there's no noise except knives and forks chiming against the plates. Hmmmm....
047.jpg

Money shot. My first plate
048.jpg

All I can say is wow. This was gonna be basic, and I guess to a point it was. Not a whole lot of different menu items but the ones we had were done correctly. Roast was nicely seasoned and perfectly cooked. The taters were just stellar, which is kind of a surprise because I've never cooked them like this before. Mushrooms had a perfectly balanced flavor between the beef sauce and the port wine. Just a nice hint of the port but not overpowering in any way. I'd almost have to say that if there was one thing that really stood out as the best aspect of the meal, it'd be the appetizers. Those also were a first time addition also but holy smoke they were good!! Any of us could have just made a meal out of them.

Oh well, it was long but hopefully worth the time. Have a great day everybody, stay safe, and we'll see y'all on the next installment.

Robert

Wow is right! Nothing basic about that meal Robert. Looks delicious all around. Them taters look like something right up my alley. Nice work bud

Reactions: JLeonard
Damn man that is just stellar all around! Has my stomach growling as we speak. That roast is beautiful and nice to see the SM grill in action! Not simple by any means. Would be happy to sit down to that meal any day! Nice job Robert!

That looks really really good, and not basic. Although to me, "basic" food cooked properly is the best food. A chicken beast sandwich made properly with fresh ingredients can be one of the most rewarding things. Nice job on the cook, looks like everyone is enjoying themselves.

Looks like an awesome dinner Robert! Sometimes basic is better when using quality ingredients, at least that’s how I try to approach things.

Cheese and gravy potatoes! Yes please!! The Caprese salad looks delicious too! Something I’m no stranger to.

That last plate is just money, ankles and all. Very nicely done!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Whoa Robert, appears another one goes out of the park, great piece of work, huge Like!. Those taters are right up my alley also, might be doing those this week. RAY

WOW! awesome meal Robert! All of it looks fantastic. The dried beef roll ups I bet were great. Especially on a hot day. That roast could not have came out any more perfect! BIG LIKE!

tx smoker tx smoker As always a stellar cook and write up. I always love reading your post.

Very much appreciate the kind words. Sadly I have a dozen or so meals in folders on the desktop of the computer I'd like to post but don't want to inundate the forum. trying to be a bit more selective in what I put out here.

Wow is right! Nothing basic about that meal Robert. Looks delicious all around. Them taters look like something right up my alley. Nice work bud

Thank you Jake!! Those taters were certainly a Southern comfort food item. So good!! I'm certain that those will be done again soon.

Robert

Damn man that is just stellar all around! Has my stomach growling as we speak. That roast is beautiful and nice to see the SM grill in action! Not simple by any means. Would be happy to sit down to that meal any day! Nice job Robert!

Thank you John. Love that SM grill of course. Had a few things not too long ago I wanted to cook on it but was just too windy. Didn't want to chance torching the entire community.

That looks really really good, and not basic. Although to me, "basic" food cooked properly is the best food. A chicken beast sandwich made properly with fresh ingredients can be one of the most rewarding things. Nice job on the cook, looks like everyone is enjoying themselves.

Couldn't agree more!! It's nice once in a while to do something really over the top but the last year or so I've tried to scal back and just focus on a few items and try to get them as good as I can. Nothing fancy about this meal, it was ll just done correctly and with considerable attention.

Robert

Cheese and gravy potatoes! Yes please!! The Caprese salad looks delicious too! Something I’m no stranger to.

That last plate is just money, ankles and all. Very nicely done!

Very much appreciate it Joe. Can't thank you enough for the kind words. The taters were a huge hit, no doubt about that but the Caparese salads were insanely goof. So cool and refreshing...and supre tasty.

Whoa Robert, appears another one goes out of the park, great piece of work, huge Like!. Those taters are right up my alley also, might be doing those this week.

Wow...thanks Ray and another vote for the taters. They were super good and so easy to put together. Can't believe I've never thought of doing them like this before yesterday

Robert

WOW! awesome meal Robert! All of it looks fantastic. The dried beef roll ups I bet were great. Especially on a hot day. That roast could not have came out any more perfect!

Thank you Travis. The whole meal was in fact good but those roll ups were stellar!! All of us were blown away by how good they were. I actually kept them in the fridge so they'd stay nice and cold and people grabbed them as they wanted. Another thing that I'd never doe before but will be doing again, I can promise you that!! So simple and so delicious.

That looks spectacular!

Thank you Steve!! Don't know that it stacks up to your most recent CI extravaganza but it was darned good.

Robert

Awesome awesome awesome like the idea of the roll ups.

Warren

Thank you Warren. As stated, the roll ups were a first but not a last. They were so easy tomake and just amazingly flavorful.

Beautiful as always!
Don't know what you do/did for a living, but you had to be a chef in a previous life ;-)
Dan

Appreciate it Dan but the closest thing I've ever been to a chef was washing dishes in an Italian restaurant one Summer when I was 16. I just have a job that requires very little time so that leaves too much time to think about food :emoji_wink:

Robert

Where to start? Just an amazing meal all the way around! Those roll ups look amazing, especially on a hot day. Beef cooked perfectly and with the added mushrooms...oh my. But as you know...you had me at gravy! Then topped with cheese, just awesome!

Ryan

Looks great . My late Father in law used to say " Must be good , nobodies talking "

Beautiful meal Robert. I really need to add a Santa Maria at some point. The beef is spot on and man the caprese salads are beautiful. So many ways to plate them. It’s amazing to me how much basil two plants will put off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky