Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bks70hunt

Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Hey all, I am new here and had a question. I looked in past threads but didn't see what I was looking for.

I need to smoke two 14 LB. pork butts for an event this Sat. Problem is, we have rented a place for a set number of hours. Can I cook these two butts the day before for a set number of hours(,Like 8 to 10 hours) stick them into the fridge and finish them up the next day in the smoker?(until I hit 190?)

Using a  Brinkman with lump and wood.

cool.gif

First off welcome to SMF there 70 Hunt. Now you can smoke the meat before hand and then take it to the venue and then re-heat it there. I would use a steamer/pasta pot to do so. It will keep the meat very moist and you will like it too. Now can you swing by Roll Call and introduce yourself and we can give you the big welcome we like to give to new members.

Sorry but I think you have 2 cryovack packages containing 4 butts. Just expect 1/12 hours per pound, I have been doing this for a few years and have never sen a 14 lb butt, but a lot of 2 packs that would equil that amount

Sorry but I think you have 2 cryovack packages containing 4 butts. Just expect 1/12 hours per pound, I have been doing this for a few years and have never sen a 14 lb butt, but a lot of 2 packs that would equil that amount

Id have to agree with Gary.  Cook them all the way the day before then reheat at the venue.

Welcome to the SMF. I see you're already getting dome replies to your questions. It's all good my friend.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Welcome to the family friend.

These Gentlemen / Ladies are correct. I would do them the day before, poke them in the fridge and then reheat once you are set up there.I like the steamer/pasta pot Idea. Great Thinking mballi3011

Thanks for the help..I didn't think it would be a good idea to only cook 1/2 way. And the steamer/pasta pot is a great idea!

I will let you all know and intro myself soon. Thanks again.

If for some reason you don't have or can't get a steamer pot that big, another option is to cook them all the way, let them rest for 2 hrs., then shred them and store them in the fridge. Then when you get to the venue turn the oven on to 200°, dump the shreded pork into a disposable turkey pan, add the saved de-fatted drippings from the pork butt (save the drippings) and some apple juice. Tightly cover the foil pan with foil and put it in the oven till the temp comes up to 165°.

Does anybody else pull the meat off the smoker before ideal temps (maybe 10 degrees) are reached, refrigerate and then bring up to final  temp the next day.

Is there a reasonn to bring to final temp and then refrigerate? 

You could dry out the meat, if it where me I would cook all the way then reheat as suggested, I have reheated in a crock pot with some finishing sauce/chicken broth it works great!

Thanks again guys! I have two Boston Butts, right at 20LBS of meat. Today I rubbed them down with mustard, and covered them in dry rub.  I have 31 odd pounds of kingsford on hand. Apple and hickory wood chips.And a good bit of apple juice.. I plan to start smokin' at 8 am.... Wish me luck!

Hope I don't run out of beer Friday.....

Oh, I see this has been moved to roll call.. So I guess I should tell ya about myself...

If you want to know...................lol

Name is Brian. Live in West Virginia. I am the cook in this family, wife burns EVERYTHING! But that's ok. I LOVE to cook. I cook out year round, whenever possible. Gas, kingsford,lump, hot oil, doesn't matter, if I am on the deck with meat on the grill and beer in my hand I am at peace!

Also a homebrewer. VP of the local and only? WV Homebrew Club.Na, I am sure WV must have more brewers.... Love beer, but really love the mead! ^ taps in my laundryroom, but haven't brewed a batch for a little while..    :(

UM, oh, also first year with a garden. been havin' all kinds of fun outdoors this year.

Will figure this site out soon, and try to add some pics!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky