Just did my first pork butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cigar cowboy

Original poster
Dec 27, 2023
So I just did my first pork butts for the holidays. Cooked at 200 for about 16 hours unwrapped overnight took them off, wrapped them and let them rest for 3 hours. They were a little dry but the bark was amazing. I'm thinking of cooking them next time to 190 next time before resting them. Thoughts and or advice

Attachments

• 20231224_130658.jpg
    20231224_130658.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: JLeonard
Howdy, and welcome to the group from New Mexico.
The longer you cook it, the more it will dry out.
IMO you would be better off cooking at 190 for a couple hours to get some smoke, then bump to 275.
Wrapping when you get to 160-165 can also help keep moisture in, but at the risk of softening the bark.

Are you cooking on a pellet smoker? Does not really matter, just curious. I'd cook at least at 225 but prefer 275 to reduce cook time. Meat will not know the difference and you'll save time. I usually set a therm alert at 200+ (usually 203ish) to check for tenderness. Then pull off and rest for at least 30 minutes but could be longer if needed. Wrap, foil boat or unwrapped the whole time. All a matter a preference. Love the avatar, welcome!

Welcome home , I smoke for 2-3 hours as low as my pellet smoker will run then kick it up to at least 220-250. spritz every 30-60 minutes for a few hours to help the smoke profile, I like apple juice on anything pork , if I had a 275 I would run that but my next step is 300 and while good temp for chicken it's to hot for pork for me.

On my opinion no need to smoke butts at that low temp. I turbo butts at 275F ,wrap 165ish in a pan with a cup of liquid and cook them to 200-205F. A good hour to two hours rest in my cambro. You can use a towel filled cooler. I've never seen a butt dry though, what was your finish temp?

Pellet smokers make more smoke at low temps, that's the reason for running on low for awhile, other smokers will make good smoke most all the temp range depending on the wood

Welcome Cowboy. Mosey on over to Roll Call and formerly introduce yourself...😉

On my opinion no need to smoke butts at that low temp. I turbo butts at 275F ,wrap 165ish in a pan with a cup of liquid and cook them to 200-205F. A good hour to two hours rest in my cambro. You can use a towel filled cooler. I've never seen a butt dry though, what was your finish temp?
203 i.t

Reactions: crazymoon
Are you cooking on a pellet smoker? Does not really matter, just curious. I'd cook at least at 225 but prefer 275 to reduce cook time. Meat will not know the difference and you'll save time. I usually set a therm alert at 200+ (usually 203ish) to check for tenderness. Then pull off and rest for at least 30 minutes but could be longer if needed. Wrap, foil boat or unwrapped the whole time. All a matter a preference. Love the avatar, welcome!
Yup I'm cooking on a pit boss 1230

CC, Folks have you covered with the pork butt. Crank up the temp to at least 250*. I like to cover or wrap,some folks don't , your IT sounds good as 200-205 works well to make your butt tender.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky