Help smoking chicken breasts.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KrisUpInSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
I'm cooking a last minute dinner for around 20 people tomorrow. I'm having burgers and dogs on the grill, 3 racks of BBs and chicken breasts in the smoker. Planning to use peach wood for a light smoke because I don't know what these guests would like.

I haven't made chicken breasts in the smoker before. These are boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I'm finding conflicting cooking times. I've seen "cook at 225-250f, for 1 hour and 2 1/2 hours to an IT of 160°." The ribs will already be in at 225. Anybody have an idea how long they'll take?

Should I cut them in half to make more servings and cut down cook time?

I'm planning to marinate them in fresh garlic, rosemary, lemon juice, olive oil for 2 hours, and wrap in prosciutto. How's that sound? Is there any reason NOT to cook them in a tin pan to help retain juices and make moving them easier?

Anything I'm not think of?

Thank you guys in advance for any advice you can give me.

I've smoked chicken breasts a few times during other cooks and only once did I ever pan the chicken. You don't want it to end up sitting in the stuff that comes out, which is fat and saline solution.

Given you are wrapping them and brining them I'd say yer safe with no concerns about them still being tender at the temp. If any thing else, pull early, finish on grill or in oven Kris. I've mostly done chicken with SPOG to have as a quick dinner or in chicken salad.

I'd just say be very attentive to that IT to pull. <Another option....you could inject a bit of garlic butter?>

Chicken breast takes about 4 hours @ 225F.
Definitely do not put them in the pan.

To be honest, your better off not marinating them. Just cook them as they are and make a sauce. after they cook put them in the sauce and then serve. But this is my personal preference.

Good luck. show us some pics when you have finished.

I'd think it better to wrap in bacon, as I think the Prosciutto will probably dry out too much.
Cooking at 225°-250° I'd say approx 2.5 hours, but the finished IT dictates whether they're juicy or dry.

I'd wet brine for at least 4-6 hours, then season and wrap in the bacon.
No panning and no cutting till they've been cooked.

Reactions: chopsaw
Please listen to chile . I'm not gonna offer an opinion , because he has your answer .

chicken.jpg
I've done these with a simple brine of 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar mixed in 4 cups of water. Soak for 4 hours. Remove and rinse. Rub with spog or spices of your choice. Wrap in bacon. Smoke at 200 until IT hits 145. Pull and finish in broiler until bacon is crispy and IT is 160. Very moist and a awesome flavor. I used apple pellets in a A-Maze-N tray. Here's how mine came out.

Last edited:
Well I'm going to be the only one who would smoke them in a pan with some chicken broth.
Pull them out at 157, and after a short rest they will hit 165.
Pour some of the pan juice over the breasts & serve.
If your going to wrap them with anything, then I wouldn't pan them.
The bacon won't get done in a pan.
Al

Agree with Al, only I set mine on a rack inside the pan. Get a pack of thighs and you could do pulled chicken

Chicken breasts will definitely benefit in both flavor and juiciness with a brine and/or injection. Keep in mind, a brine is different than a marinade. But as far as cook time, that depends on how thick they are as well.

I'm in the camp that recommends the brine. I do a simple salt and water brine, this will ensure they stay juicy.
Also smoke to the IT which should hit 165F if you want to follow USDA guideliness for chicken.

Season anyway our like before you put them on. Boneless Skinless Chicken breast can be one of the fastest smokes out there. I say just roll with your 225F and when the IT on the breasts are hit pull them. I would imagine the 2 hour mark is a good guess so you can plan to put them on and be done way before the ribs are done or put them halfway through the rib cook and expect them to be done a little before the ribs or time it to try and end at the same time. It's up to you.

Brining though to me is the key to getting enjoyable boneless skinless chicken breast as well as whole chickens. Heck last week I did the simple brine on 8-9 oz pork loin chops I cut off a whole pork loin and it did the trick perfectly! I even stretched the cook/smoke out to 3 hours by dropping the temp to 190F after the IT was raising more quickly than I liked. I wanted to ensure I got enough smoke flavor on them before they finished. The brine and my post brine seasoning was a homerun for sure!

So gonna pt up them pics Kris? ;)

Here they are, https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...apped-chicken-breast-qview-and-recipe.277838/

I've smoked chicken breasts a few times during other cooks and only once did I ever pan the chicken. You don't want it to end up sitting in the stuff that comes out, which is fat and saline solution.

Given you are wrapping them and brining them I'd say yer safe with no concerns about them still being tender at the temp. If any thing else, pull early, finish on grill or in oven Kris. I've mostly done chicken with SPOG to have as a quick dinner or in chicken salad.

I'd just say be very attentive to that IT to pull. <Another option....you could inject a bit of garlic butter?>

Chicken breast takes about 4 hours @ 225F.
Definitely do not put them in the pan.

To be honest, your better off not marinating them. Just cook them as they are and make a sauce. after they cook put them in the sauce and then serve. But this is my personal preference.

Good luck. show us some pics when you have finished.

I'd think it better to wrap in bacon, as I think the Prosciutto will probably dry out too much.
Cooking at 225°-250° I'd say approx 2.5 hours, but the finished IT dictates whether they're juicy or dry.

I'd wet brine for at least 4-6 hours, then season and wrap in the bacon.
No panning and no cutting till they've been cooked.

Please listen to chile . I'm not gonna offer an opinion , because he has your answer .

View attachment 370601 I've done these with a simple brine of 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar mixed in 4 cups of water. Soak for 4 hours. Remove and rinse. Rub with spog or spices of your choice. Wrap in bacon. Smoke at 200 until IT hits 145. Pull and finish in broiler until bacon is crispy and IT is 160. Very moist and a awesome flavor. I used apple pellets in a A-Maze-N tray. Here's how mine came out.

Well I'm going to be the only one who would smoke them in a pan with some chicken broth.
Pull them out at 157, and after a short rest they will hit 165.
Pour some of the pan juice over the breasts & serve.
If your going to wrap them with anything, then I wouldn't pan them.
The bacon won't get done in a pan.
Al

Agree with Al, only I set mine on a rack inside the pan. Get a pack of thighs and you could do pulled chicken

Chicken breasts will definitely benefit in both flavor and juiciness with a brine and/or injection. Keep in mind, a brine is different than a marinade. But as far as cook time, that depends on how thick they are as well.

I'm in the camp that recommends the brine. I do a simple salt and water brine, this will ensure they stay juicy.
Also smoke to the IT which should hit 165F if you want to follow USDA guideliness for chicken.

Season anyway our like before you put them on. Boneless Skinless Chicken breast can be one of the fastest smokes out there. I say just roll with your 225F and when the IT on the breasts are hit pull them. I would imagine the 2 hour mark is a good guess so you can plan to put them on and be done way before the ribs are done or put them halfway through the rib cook and expect them to be done a little before the ribs or time it to try and end at the same time. It's up to you.

Brining though to me is the key to getting enjoyable boneless skinless chicken breast as well as whole chickens. Heck last week I did the simple brine on 8-9 oz pork loin chops I cut off a whole pork loin and it did the trick perfectly! I even stretched the cook/smoke out to 3 hours by dropping the temp to 190F after the IT was raising more quickly than I liked. I wanted to ensure I got enough smoke flavor on them before they finished. The brine and my post brine seasoning was a homerun for sure!

For bone in splits breast, I brine and then smoke at 250 for two hours.

Thank you for so much great advice! It all influenced how I put it together and it turned out great because of it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky