Puppy Snacks - Our best friends need love too

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
We have two dogs, a five year old Golden Retriever and a seven month old Cocker Spaniel. Both have allergies to cheap food products or they are smarter than us humans and just want quality foods. Either way quality dog treats are pretty expensive and I have a new food dehydrator that I need to put into use. The ones they are good with cost a lot and are pretty much just chicken.

Today I thin sliced a couple pounds of chicken breasts and put them in the dehydrator for about 6 hours at 145* to make them some chicken jerky. I did not add anything to the chicken since they do not need it.

It came out pretty good and they both were like sharks when I handed them a bite. I added a silica packet to keep the hydration down but this should be gone soon anyway. My dogs are spoiled after all.

dog_jerky_001.jpg

Smart idea. We used to buy the chicken jerky from "the cost co " .our girls at the time were just like savages and would not chew them up
good enough and would try and swallow them too big. We had to stop giving them those as the edges were very sharp.

Now if I had of though , I could have made my own like you did , just leave them a little softer.

Not called spoiled Chris.... Its called LOVE

David

Interesting. I've been kicking around the idea of making dog food to see if I could save money and feed them better but my procrastinating is legendary. I may give this a try. Chix boobs are cheap.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Zeke the Wonderdog has me pretty well trained also. When he thinks its time for a snack he has a donut shaped toy with a squeaker in it. He'll step on it a couple of times to make sure he has my attention then go stand in front of the shelf where the treats are.
And now you got me thinking about making snacks for him. I like the dehydrated chicken breast idea.

Jim

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Zeke the Wonderdog has me pretty well trained also. When he thinks its time for a snack he has a donut shaped toy with a squeaker in it. He'll step on it a couple of times to make sure he has my attention then go stand in front of the shelf where the treats are.
And now you got me thinking about making snacks for him. I like the dehydrated chicken breast idea.

Jim
Baloo, The golden has gotten into the habit of scratching at the backdoor like he wants out but when you open it he just backs up and looks over to the snack jar.

That works for my wife but not me. I had to ask her to stop falling for it.

My parents were over last weekend and they have a King Charles that is a picky eater and normally wont even eat snacks. I gave him a small bite of the Costco one and after that he never left that spot. My wife handed mom a bag full of them to take home.

Chix boobs are cheap.

They are not cheep around here,
But we make our own dog food . We call it stew. boil up chicken , use that water to also boil the veg and rice.
Then freeze in small bags.
We don't make a very big batch anymore as we are down to just 1 sweet girl now.
We make enough to last 2-3 weeks.
1 little Chihuahua does not eat a lot , twice a day. We mix the stew with Royal Canin kibble

But she does love hanging by my feet when ever there is bacon frying.

For Mona Print 029.JPG

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky