Hello

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cadman

Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Hey folks, I'm new to smokingmeatforums. I'm from southeast Massachusetts. I just bought and did some modifications to a Oklahoma Joe highland offset smoker. First I made a baffle plate out of 6" wide sheets of steel (5) total, the first one I cut and mounted at an angle at the top of the fire box opening angled down, the other 4 plates lay across with spaces in between, they can slide back and forth. I seasoned it last night and may drill some holes in some of the plates to fine tune. Next I added a 3" vent pipe to inside of stack which brings it about an inch or so above cook grate. I added nomex gasket material between fire box halves, between and around inside lip of each door, high temp food safe sealant between fire box and smoker. I added a second thermometer, I tested both thermos in boiling water to check for accuracy, one was right on the money and other was 8 degrees low (but now I know). Lastly a made a charcoal basket 12"x12"x6" out of a piece of expanded metal 3/4"x24"x24" sheet, bent it and secured together with wire. Got all of these ideas from you tube videos mostly. I seasoned it last night, coated entire inside with vegetable oil and sprayed racks with olive oil spray. I'll probably try some chicken for my first smoke today. Excited to get started!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky