Another firebox question. Ash pan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

irvin78787884

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 17, 2023
Unionville PA
Anyone have any opinions on putting a slide out ash pan or tray in the fire box. Worth the effort? Think it will cause efficiency issues? Added air issues? Just toying with the idea as an aide in cleaning it out after cooks. I will have the room under my fire door for it and the box isn’t constructed yet either so adding it isn’t an issue there. I was thinking of using a seal around it to help with any air drafts.

Reactions: JLeonard
Anyone have any opinions on putting a slide out ash pan or tray in the fire box. Worth the effort? Think it will cause efficiency issues? Added air issues? Just toying with the idea as an aide in cleaning it out after cooks. I will have the room under my fire door for it and the box isn’t constructed yet either so adding it isn’t an issue there. I was thinking of using a seal around it to help with any air drafts.
1000% yes.

Here is a pic of mine in the copper pot.
copperpot-fire4.jpeg

It is also shown on Page 4 of the Copper Pot build.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...h-vertical-cabinet-aka-the-copper-pot.268790/

Didn’t think of this earlier. If make the pan say 3” high does my FB need to be 3” taller to accommodate for the ash pan?

yup what JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 said. 3 inches is a tall for the ash pan..... I would think 2 would be plenty...
I was kinda just throwing 3” out there as a number. That is what I will do 2” ash pan since he said to put fire grate around 3” from bottom. Thanks also for the input.

Last edited:
I was kinda just throwing 3” out there as a number. That is what I will do 2” ash pan since he said to put fire grate around 3” from bottom. Thanks also tho for the input.
If you look at the copper pot pic I posted above...... 2 with an inch gap will work well (experience speaks). As an FYI, if you put the pan on the bottom like above, be sure to tack a thin tab (or weld bead) on each corner of the tray, ie to lift it up to allow for moisture to dry and such. I added it to mine later because moisture was getting trapped under it.

Last edited:
If you look at the coper pot pic I posted above...... 2 with an inch gap will work well (experience speaks). As an FYI, if you put the pan on the bottom like above, be sure to tack a thin tab (or weld bead) on each corner of the tray, ie to lift it up to allow for moisture to dry and such. I added it to mine later because moisture was getting trapped under it.
Will do and I will go back and look closer at it build. Thanks for the tip very good idea for sure.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Also just the theory behind the solid sides of the fire tray…..Ie this adds an air insulated gap around the base of the FB and directs the heat back into the coal bed….. Shirley smokers did a vid about it a while ago when they were doing theirs this way. The gap under the ash tray also acts similar. Ie it’s a breaker from the outside skin….. all of it added together makes for a better coal burning experience……

I will note that the v-shape is done for the same reason on keeping a coal rich burning area….. I think both are functional in what they are trying to do…..

Also just the theory behind the solid sides of the fire tray…..Ie this adds an air insulated gap around the base of the FB and directs the heat back into the coal bed….. Shirley smokers did a vid about it a while ago when they were doing theirs this way. The gap under the ash tray also acts similar. Ie it’s a breaker from the outside skin….. all of it added together makes for a better coal burning experience……

I will note that the v-shape is done for the same reason on keeping a coal rich burning area….. I think both are functional in what they are trying to do…..
Makes sense to me. I will also look into the V shape. I could angle my grates would just need to figure that out. Thanks i am working on my CC and got a bummer situation. lol check out my build post.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky