Hello from Louisiana

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Northshore Smoke

Original poster
May 31, 2018
Slidell, La.
Hi everyone!
I am from the Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain, that's the north side of the lake from New Orleans. I have been smoking meats for quite a few years, but am by no means any kind of authority. I am always open to new ideas, advice, recipes, etc. I like all kinds of cooking and am willing to try any style I haven't done previously. In short I am here to learn, and make friends.
I am on my 4th smoker, starting with a Weber kettle years ago, and progressing to a Brinkman with a side fire box, then a "real Oklahoma Joe" Texas style smoker. By real I mean this one was made from 20-22" pipe with 1/4" wall. Before rust got to the fire box the weight was right at 700 lbs. At least that was the shipping weight. Since Char Broil has bought them out they have gone to stamped units, but they still work, you just have to take better care of them.
I am now using an Oklahoma Joe's Bandera smoker. It's a vertical smoker with a side mounted firebox. So far I love it! As you can see I have been exclusively charcoal and wood smokers, but I am very curious about other types.

Looking forward to chatting on the forums.

Reactions: kruizer
Welcome from the south shore of the lake in Louisiana! My folks live in madisonville, small world.

Lot of great people, and info on here. Good luck and enjoy!

Thank you for the welcome, guys!
73saint 73saint Small world! I grew up in Metairie! Moved to the Northshore when my job transferred me to downtown New Orleans, many years ago. I have been living up here for over 25 years now. Love it!

Thank you for the welcome, guys!
73saint 73saint Small world! I grew up in Metairie! Moved to the Northshore when my job transferred me to downtown New Orleans, many years ago. I have been living up here for over 25 years now. Love it!
Man if you are still commuting from the north shore to downtown nola, I do no envy you. I did it for a while when I first moved home from Atlanta. I work downtown in place st charles, right off Poydras st. Great energy down there but I hate the commute!

Oh no, I'm retired now. The commute did get a little old back in the day, but I lived in and around Houston enough that it really didn't bother me.

Welcome to the site, glad to have ya.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky