Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
Managed to find a butcher that sells unbrined pigs legs for ham and at a reasonable price here in Canada. Can get them bone in, skin on, or they can remove both for an extra fee. They are ~20lb in size, but they can cut to whatever weight you want. I've never been into ham, but my wife is. I did up a picnic shoulder with DaveO's ham recipe. Pretty damn good to say the least. This time, I'd like to do up the picturesque ham for the extended family. Are these typically skin on, bone in? How in the world would you cure such a large ham? I have a vacuum packer, but nothing this big.

Any suggestions for a second attempt at ham?

Neil

Reactions: JLeonard
Skin off and bone in is best. Use Dave’s injection again. Just buy some plastic wrap and roll it up with a catch pan under to get any drips during cure. The ham will be perfect in 14 days and ready to smoke.

Reactions: nlife
I've been surfing the net on how people usually cook these. Seems to be a bit of a toss up on the skin on/skin off. Last one I looked at, they took the skin off a pre-cooked ham and scored the fat. That one looked pretty damn good.

I'll definitely be doing Dave's injection again. Was just wondering how to deal with the sheer size. Plastic wrap and a drip tray makes sense.

Are these cooked to finish on the smoker, or do people pull at a certain temp and finish in the oven?

Reactions: JLeonard
Are these cooked to finish on the smoker, or do people pull at a certain temp and finish in the oven?
Remove the skin to get smoke into the meat, the skin will block that. Personally I would finish in the smoker. But you can finish in the oven.

Reactions: nlife
Love bone in hams! Not sure if it's it daveomak daveomak thread or not. But seems to me there's a thread that gives really good instructions on how and where to make sure you get good injection all around the bone. Just can't remember where. I know I was nervous as heck the first time I did one!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky