Ground Turkey Meatball Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Motorguy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 7, 2013
Green Valley, Az
I have a ground turkey meatball recipe that sounds great, with diced jalapenos, herbs, spices, egg and breadcrumb mix, made into tablespoon sized balls. Problem is it's for the oven and I think they would be great on the smoker, maybe with apple or mesquite smoke. Any suggestions on smoker time and temp? I promise I'll do a Qview.......Thanks.

It depends on how big you make the meatballs. Your gonna want to take them to 160 IT to be safe.
A 2" meatball will probably take a couple of hours at 225. Tablespoon sized balls would probably be done in 30-40 minutes. If it were me I would make bigger balls so they take longer to cook & can absorb more smoke. Then if you want smaller portion sizes just quarter them when they are done. It's going to be a short smoke so if you like smoke flavor I would go with mesquite, it's a strong wood & will give the meatballs a lot of flavor in a short time.
Al

Reactions: bdskelly
I have a ground turkey meatball recipe that sounds great, with diced jalapenos, herbs, spices, egg and breadcrumb mix, made into tablespoon sized balls. Problem is it's for the oven and I think they would be great on the smoker, maybe with apple or mesquite smoke. Any suggestions on smoker time and temp? I promise I'll do a Qview.......Thanks.

I would go with a higher temp here, get some smoke taste but not lose a lot of moisture. Maybe 275 for 30-45 minutes. Sounds like a fun dish. I agree, baking is boring! get um up to 160 like Al suggests.

It depends on how big you make the meatballs. Your gonna want to take them to 160 IT to be safe.
A 2" meatball will probably take a couple of hours at 225. Tablespoon sized balls would probably be done in 30-40 minutes. If it were me I would make bigger balls so they take longer to cook & can absorb more smoke. Then if you want smaller portion sizes just quarter them when they are done. It's going to be a short smoke so if you like smoke flavor I would go with mesquite, it's a strong wood & will give the meatballs a lot of flavor in a short time.
Al

Thanks SmokinAl. That's just what I was looking for. I think I'll go with the smaller balls as they are planned as finger food for a party. I can adjust the time accordingly and will go with Hickory instead of Apple. I appreciate the help.

Jeff

I would go with a higher temp here, get some smoke taste but not lose a lot of moisture. Maybe 275 for 30-45 minutes. Sounds like a fun dish. I agree, baking is boring! get um up to 160 like Al suggests.

Thanks David. The issue with a higher temp is that my MES40 has a top temp of 275 degrees and at that temp it's marginal of actually staying there. Appreciate the reply.

Jeff

If you are not adding any fat to the meat, or at least the skin ground up through the grinder... May I suggest you add STPP to the ground meat.. 0.4-0.5%... It holds onto moisture like a vice... Many folks here use it in all meats.. Meatloaf was one members winning test...

If you are not adding any fat to the meat, or at least the skin ground up through the grinder... May I suggest you add STPP to the ground meat.. 0.4-0.5%... It holds onto moisture like a vice... Many folks here use it in all meats.. Meatloaf was one members winning test...

Thanks Dave. I will definitely check this out. I hadn't heard of it before.

Jeff

After hearing Dave's comment, just adding some finely chopped onions will add a lot of moisture to the turkey, without having to buy another ingredient.
We use chopped onion & garlic in turkey burgers all the time and they are very juicy.
Al

It kinda defeats the purpose of a healthy meatball, but you could wrap them in bacon like moinks are. Call them goinks.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky