Grilled Stuffed cabbage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqking01

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 29, 2021
Did this on my Weber kettle. Stuffed with a seasoned ground beef onion mixture, with butter. After it grilled we chopped it up and mixed it together and it was really good.

Attachments

• 004ABF6C-1DF6-4705-9C4B-CDA4698602A6.jpeg
    004ABF6C-1DF6-4705-9C4B-CDA4698602A6.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 83A03B39-2800-45B4-B3D2-F54D04720654.jpeg
    83A03B39-2800-45B4-B3D2-F54D04720654.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 237970A5-2985-4EDD-9072-B05C16FA694E.jpeg
    237970A5-2985-4EDD-9072-B05C16FA694E.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 124
  • D729B6ED-6E16-4F06-A853-A00567E6F719.jpeg
    D729B6ED-6E16-4F06-A853-A00567E6F719.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 121
This looks really good... can you give the details on the seasoned ground beef ??
I used garlic salt chopped onion and black pepper. About a teaspoon each. Probably about 1-2 lbs of 80/20 ground beef. I probably added a pinch of ground cumin, knowing me.

Reactions: bauchjw
Looks delicious. It's been a long time since I smoked a stuffed cabbage. May have to add that to my short list.

Reactions: bbqking01
And then,,,,,, featured On the carousel. huh,,, guess I’ll stop posting recipes.
I don't think I ever had one fearured, but that doesn't really hurt my feelings since most of my stuff isn't overly impressive, but, ya know, to just walk in and take center stage ..... welllllllll

• Love
Reactions: negolien
I guess my question would have to be, how did I not post or put the recipe and method on here. I mean seriously ?! I guess I could just stay where I’m most welcome. And not “bombard” the sight with pics….good grief. What did I do wrong. I’m proud of my skills and sharing knowledge. I’m always up for new info and methods. Or as stated you could just avoid the “self promotion” and just uselessy “scroll on by,”

• Haha
Ok…I was sitting on my smart phone on fine Wednesday afternoon. Approximately 2:34.37pm I suddenly, excitingly came across another grill enthusiast post about smoked cabbage. As a lover of cooked cabbage, I hurriedly looked carefully at the pictures, as most people would be able to look at the pictures and see the method(s) used and put two and two together. I went to frys and used my debit card to purchase cabbage and ground beef. I already had the seasoning and onion at home. I also bought a bag of kingsford charcoal. I had hickory wood at home also. I then drove home and told my lovely wife what I was planning. She was very skeptical. I digress…after a period of time, I walked out to my Weber 22” kettle and started preparing it for grilling the cabbage. After it was ready, I went inside and prepped the cabbage by cutting, knifing, and spooning out a cavity in the cabbage. I then prepped the ground beef, with garlic salt, black pepper. Also chopped onion to go in the beef mixture. All this took about 30 minutes. After calling at putting the mixture into the hollowed out cabbage. I made a round foil ring to hold the cabbage upright on the grill. I lit the charcoal, I am sure if you grill that wo t need explaining, but I shall explain. I put unlit charcoal on each side of a dril pan in the center of the charcoal grate. Then I used a chimney starter and lit 27.5 briquettes, by using a dry grass bundle. After the charcoal was hot and glowing I dumped half on one side of the drip pan half on the other. Then added hickory wood on both sides. Ias the charcoal caught and lit, I placed the foil ring on the cooking grate first then the stuffed cabbage on the ring. I smoked I got 1 hour. After 45 minutes I added a 1/4 stick of butter ono the meat. I forgot to mention I did this as I put the cabbage in the grill too. After it was finished at 1 hour I removed it and placed inyo a bowl. Then used kitchen shears to chop and mix the cabbage and meat mixture up. Then we set the table and my whole family sat down and ate it happily, and satisfyingly. The End.

They look great, thanks for sharing. Brisket or PB with BBQ sauce works well for a suffer with plenty of butter also. Just realized I have not done one in a while myself, might need to fix that soon.

Where has your recipe and/technique been posted?
This site is what it is because of the sharing of recipes and technique. posting a picture of “look what I just did” doesn’t cut it with me. Give details and process. How did you create that dish or meal. I’m glad you found this site. I’m also glad you are involved and active here. Im just not pleased with the lack of disclosure about your accomplishments. You gleaned plenty from this site before posting. Give back a little.
I’ll go rethink some things.
I only discovered this site a couple days ago. I shall attempt to gleen.

Question: when you cut out the cavity did you cut out the stem/core end? I'm thinking so but I'm curious.

Reactions: bbqking01
Question: when you cut out the cavity did you cut out the stem/core end? I'm thinking so but I'm curious.
Actually I did not cut out the stem/core end. It helped hold things together. I trimmed it short. And when I chopped it up, I did cut it out. So it was basically a large bowl.

Looks delicious!
It brings back memories of me as a kid.
My Mom made a very similar dish in the oven, and so did my wife, Judy when we got married.
I guess I’ll have to remind her & maybe this time we will smoke it! :emoji_sunglasses:
Al

The ones I have done in the past I did cut out the stem core end. When it was done just quartered it from the open end. The first one I did not take out enough core and it did not have enough stuffing to soak goodies all the way through. The ones cored out more were better. The good stuff taken out with the core can be done in a small pan, even with different seasonings if you might like. A little squeeze can let you know how well done it is getting, it will get softer. I had forgotten that I found about 190 IT works for me.

I posted a thread long ago on early ones when I first started doing them.

Thanks to the OP for posting your version, sparks our memories to do this again and try something a different way we might not have thought of, like yours chopped afterward in a pan to cover all with the flavorings to serve. To me that is why we all share here. Modify for what ever suits your tasted buds and enjoy.

Last edited:
Where has your recipe and/technique been posted?
This site is what it is because of the sharing of recipes and technique. posting a picture of “look what I just did” doesn’t cut it with me. Give details and process. How did you create that dish or meal. I’m glad you found this site. I’m also glad you are involved and active here. Im just not pleased with the lack of disclosure about your accomplishments. You gleaned plenty from this site before posting. Give back a little.
I’ll go rethink some things.

Jesus Edge, the guy has been here a couple of days and you're jumping all over him! As long as you are taking some time to rethink things maybe your attitude should be one of them, gimme a break. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky