Got Robbed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The real problem is that the refineries have not been making their BILLIONS IN PROFITS PER QUARTER... They say "We're losing money... we only made a little less than a billion in profits for the last 3 quarters" ....

I mean.. I can understand having to make a profit... but BILLIONS... PER QUARTER ... It's BS

Here in Alberta Canada we are paying $3.52 a gallon for reg. gas in the Vancouver BC area they are paying 4.66 per gallon reg. gas.

that would be an Imperial gallon, correct? i believe that an imperial gallon is a quart more than a U.S. gallon.. but i could be wrong how much more...

A lot of states (e.g. Calif?) require a "winter formulation" and a "summer formulation" of gas. Now is probably the transition from W to S formula which can't help but add inefficiency to the distribution costs as well.

Yes twice a year the formula is changed. The oil companies ay this requires them to increase the cost when they change. This has been going on for about 20 years now, one might think they have covered the expenses by now. Guess I'm wrong, again.
I know I could get a hybred or full electric to avoid most of this. But I'm just not willing to give up my V8 and the sound it makes. So I will just bitch whether I I a right to or not.

Looks it might get a lot worse. The current administration is proposing a mileage tax to fund infrastructure. Geez!

Dave

...proposing a mileage tax to fund infrastructure...
Well, probably not without some resistance since gas/mileage taxes are a regressive, not progressive, tax method. (Poor people pay a higher fraction of their income on gas than the rich. Even if the rich have a collection of 6-figure cars, their mileage is not THAT much worse than a chevy.)
But gas taxes are a way to massage the public to electric vehicles, and charging stations are a key part of the infrastructure bill, so that's probably the motivation.
Now whether electric vehicles are an overall good for society or not, or whether public policy or the free market is the best way to improve society, are subjects for another forum!

Well, probably not without some resistance since gas/mileage taxes are a regressive, not progressive, tax method. (Poor people pay a higher fraction of their income on gas than the rich. Even if the rich have a collection of 6-figure cars, their mileage is not THAT much worse than a chevy.)
But gas taxes are a way to massage the public to electric vehicles, and charging stations are a key part of the infrastructure bill, so that's probably the motivation.
Now whether electric vehicles are an overall good for society or not, or whether public policy or the free market is the best way to improve society, are subjects for another forum!
Well said!

Dave

Yes twice a year the formula is changed. The oil companies ay this requires them to increase the cost when they change. This has been going on for about 20 years now, one might think they have covered the expenses by now. Guess I'm wrong, again.
I know I could get a hybred or full electric to avoid most of this. But I'm just not willing to give up my V8 and the sound it makes. So I will just bitch whether I I a right to or not.

Electric Vehicles aren't looking too bad now already, and getting better every day.
I guess we can always play an audio of the best sounding "Muscle Car" made, while driving our Silent Electric car:

Overall Assessment
The Tesla Model S presents a desirable package for luxury car shoppers, a full-size sedan with hard-to-match technology and driving performance. It creates no emissions while driving and requires no gas.
Owners can recharge it at home or on the road, and the Model S offers a maximum driving range of about 520 miles, meaning it can go farther than most gas-powered luxury vehicles. Inside the sleek and understated cabin, passengers have front and rear high-definition displays that allow them to access music, movies, the internet, gaming, and other entertainment. A panoramic glass roof offers compelling views of its own. The Model S is surprisingly fun to drive, with remarkable speed and agile handling. And when you don't feel like driving, the Tesla can take care of it almost entirely. Some competitors have more interior plushness and upscale materials. Still, Tesla's extended driving range, high-tech features, and added versatility make it tough to beat for the environmentally-minded.

Just a Thought,
Bear

Reactions: MJB05615
Electric Vehicles aren't looking too bad now already, and getting better every day.
I guess we can always play an audio of the best sounding "Muscle Car" made, while driving our Silent Electric car:

I am not a luxury buyer. To me, what you describe in the Tesla I want in my living room. They do perform without a doubt but I find the experience without soul. I enjoy experiencing the feel of the road, the feedback at the apex of a corner and rolling on the throttle coming out. It's not only the sound, like you said I can get that out of my stereo. The rumble communicates up thru the seat into my backside, the twitch of the steering wheel, being in the correct gear at the correct time, the bumps in the pavement. That's driving.
I understand that some do not want that and in fact is a negative to them and I can respect that. But I enjoy it even if I'm only going to the store or church.

Last edited:
I love the smell of emissions in the morning!

Me Too!
I worked at Gas Stations from age 12 to age 16, and part time after that.
And I went to tech school 3 years, where most of my friends were learning Auto Body, Auto Mechanics, Carpentry, Cabinetmakin, etc.... Most of them had Hot Muscle cars from the 50s & 60s. But that was Many Moons ago.

Bear

Reactions: TNJAKE
our coal plants charge those 'lectric cars

there will be no solar storage for overnite consumption for yrs...not talkin campers or homes. and here the dang wind goes silent most every nite. and ya charge car at nite

Last edited:
i raced snowmobiles in the '70's and my exhaust wasn't the only one that smelled funny

Well, the fact that your President and our Prime Minister are hell bent on keeping us from sending Alberta oil to Texas refineries sure doesn't help the price of gas at the pumps.
Gary
Why doesn't Canada have the ability to refine the oil up there? Seems like it would be more cost effective than pumping it 2,000 miles to Texas.

Why doesn't Canada have the ability to refine the oil up there? Seems like it would be more cost effective than pumping it 2,000 miles to Texas.
I'm only guessing but the flash point of gaoline is a lot lower than crude oil...room temp for gas and desert temp for crude. So transporting gasoline requires more attention to safety such as spark arrestors, bonding of conductors, etc. So the capital costs of a gasoline pipeline is much higher than for crude, although like you say, once you start pumping the value of the product per volume is better for gas.

I'm only guessing but the flash point of gaoline is a lot lower than crude oil...room temp for gas and desert temp for crude. So transporting gasoline requires more attention to safety such as spark arrestors, bonding of conductors, etc. So the capital costs of a gasoline pipeline is much higher than for crude, although like you say, once you start pumping the value of the product per volume is better for gas.

We can refine the oil up here, but we don't have a big refinery in Alberta. The Feds and Quebec stopped our plans to run a pipeline from Alberta to New Brunswick. They've pretty much locked us in.
Gary

Refined gasoline is delivered to areas then further distributed via tankers. So the options are....

A. Send one product down to be broken down and distributed closer to where they are being used.

or

B. Break it down in a low population area & re-invent an entire distribution network to get it out to where it is needed.

It's all driven by money & how much the oil companies can make.

And BTW, the gasoline cost spike coincides with & had more to do with the closings of the refineries in Texas due to the big freeze than a pipeline.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky