Good deal on first smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fitzdawg79

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
Knoxville, TN
So I've been looking into smoking for some time now, and finally decided to pull the trigger this weekend, and here's my purchase story:

I was looking at the Perfect Flame smoker at Lowe's as my first smoker and ended up getting a really good deal on it. They had two of them left, so I asked a Lowe's employee to match the price that Wal-Mart has on the GOSM ($108), which he agreed to. When I got customer service to check out, the cashier gave me an additional 10% off to beat Wal-Mart's price.

So to sum up: Originally $159, marked down to $119, price matched to $108, then 10% off to bring the total to $97 and change.

Now I'm looking forward to seasoning one day this week, then spending Saturday smoking some meat! Anybody got any suggestions for what my first smoke should be?

Damn that is a good deal! Nice score!

First smoke suggestions...man that is a question, fatties are always great, no matter what you stuff them with (even if you don't stuff them) they are great and only take 2-3 hours and are very forgiving.
Another great start would be some pulled pork, another forgiving meat as far as smoke goes and tastes wonderful, as far as a first smoke I think those would be two good choices that would work out great.
And if you do PP (pulled pork) don't forget the finishing sauce and the coleslaw
icon_wink.gif

I tried a couple of yard birds. They are cheap, pretty forgiving if something goes wrong, you can always finish up on the grill.

My first time out was a disaster and am glad I had something inexpensive. They turned out good after a good while.

Just remember food safety and get meat over 140 in 4 hours or less

Nice score on the smoker.

I think a whole chicken would be easy, about 3 hours and you can get a feel for your smoker. A fatty is another option.

Good luck on whatever you do.

Great Buy, This time of year they are glad to get rid of summer stock...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky