Glad I have somewhere out of the weather to smoke.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice cooking there Dougie. We need to help you put an exhaust hood in a sidewall so you don't have to leave the door open. But on second thought if you are using a Knipco (what us northerners call a torpedo heater) on diesel fuel, you need the air exchange. That would leave my eyes watering.
Those don't have a tendency to foul up or gel the injector when below zero? Never tried, always ran #1, and don't care for the price of that. I use 135k btu also.
I used to live in the area of DougE DougE and BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker . Single digits was pretty rare and usually short term. A good dose of apple juice (Howes) would be good in the Knipco.
Back in the tundra, I used my LP powered Knipco far more often. Much less odor, LP in a 30#er was cheaper than #1 and WAY cheaper than kerosene.
At Scouting events I used to scare people by putting the LP tank in front of the Knipco to keep the tank warm in sub zero temps until the building heat caught up to keep the vaporizing going.
Not for the feint of heart

Good looking supper Doug!
Bought kerosene at $6 a gallon to run in my knipco heater. Find the odor isn't as bad. That's to go along with my two, 250,000 btu LB White heaters trying to heat a 50 X 140 room up for little pigs coming tomorrow. A 30 mph south wind doesn't help.

Ryan

Reactions: DougE
Nice cooking there Dougie. We need to help you put an exhaust hood in a sidewall so you don't have to leave the door open. But on second thought if you are using a Knipco (what us northerners call a torpedo heater) on diesel fuel, you need the air exchange. That would leave my eyes watering.
Thanks, John. No, I don't stay in the part of the barn where the smoker is. I have a walled off shop in the middle of the barn. That's where me and the torpedo stay. It has enough air leaks to provide ventilation. The shop is also where I do all my curing and sausage making. I've turned one end into a kitchen area.

Good looking supper Doug!
Bought kerosene at $6 a gallon to run in my knipco heater. Find the odor isn't as bad. That's to go along with my two, 250,000 btu LB White heaters trying to heat a 50 X 140 room up for little pigs coming tomorrow. A 30 mph south wind doesn't help.

Ryan
Thanks, Ryan. I really don't get much diesel odor off the heater, or maybe I'm just used to smelling diesel fumes. Good luck on keeping the little ones warm.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
In negative temps I’d run kerosene myself. But luckily we don’t deal with a lot of that. Down to zero or so I’ve had no problems with blended diesel (winter blend)
What exactly is blended diesel? Is that the same as me adding a half a gallon of gas to five gallons of diesel fuel during our annual cold snap?

Blended diesel is what fuel stations sell. Basically #2 with different additives depending on the season. Gasoline also has winter and summer blends.

What exactly is blended diesel? Is that the same as me adding a half a gallon of gas to five gallons of diesel fuel during our annual cold snap?
Blended diesel is what we use in the winter for cold temps. Warm weather is # 2 diesel. In colder temps diesel is blended... some use a 70/30 blend ( # 2/#1 diesel), some use a 50/50 blend. Can also add additive to help from gelling up.

Ryan

Blended diesel is what we use in the winter for cold temps. Warm weather is # 2 diesel. In colder temps diesel is blended... some use a 70/30 blend ( # 2/#1 diesel), some use a 50/50 blend. Can also add additive to help from gelling up.

Ryan
Better stated than what I said. Anti-gel additives are usually part of the winter blend. When I was a boy, I remember people having to add their own anti-gel to diesel fuel.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Better stated than what I said. Anti-gel additives are usually part of the winter blend. When I was a boy, I remember people having to add their own anti-gel to diesel fuel.
Well because of you I now crave smoked meatloaf!
In the temps we had the right diesel blend and additive mix is important. To not end up with a tractor gelled up on a gravel road for several days. So Fueling Around Fueling Around the tractor is now gone... happened to be getting fuel when the Case dealership was bringing the tractor back to it's owner on the flatbed semi... hate to see that bill, they are 45 miles away . Good news is temp is rising overnight and wind decreasing... almost 30 by morning.

Ryan

Reactions: DougE
Nothing beats being a die hard smoker with quality electronics!

Won't be long and we'll all be back in shorts and flip flops! I keep telling myself that.
Yeah me too.....Not
IMG_7074.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky