Shop!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks to all who have taken the time to drop a line… again, very much appreciated!

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks to all who have taken the time to drop a line… again, very much appreciated!
I recently (less than 2 years ago) had a shop built by a local framer. My initial plan was to order a building/shop on-line and have everything delivered. I downloaded the list of materials that was going to be used and showed it to my builder guy. He said it would be cheaply built. So, I went with him to build it for me. So, do your research on the materials and how well it is built. Lastly, big thumps up on spray insulation!!! I don’t cool my shop, I just have electric heat and it stays warm for a long time!!!

I dream of a shop like that! But will likely settle for a larger shed like a tuff shed or something.

Like mentioned multiple times before, go as big as you can! Oh and leave room for the outboard and trailer tongue on your boat when figuring in the depth of your building.....

0E1FE8A4-6987-437D-80C6-25AE8DA38AC0.jpeg.320740642d244f6858f3b8ff8152345f.jpeg

only you can decide on how much room you need to store/pile the stuff you have. Doesn’t matter how big you go you can always figure out a way to fill it up. if you’re going to climate control the environment the height plays a big roll. Wood structure stay away from foam if metal then yes. That industry is about to be phased out it looks like. If you have the real estate a car port for the camper might be a more practical option. If cost isn’t a factor then let you wants out run your needs all you desire. I’ve seen several people go that route with regrets down the road.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Lean-tos are very nice to have. Helped a buddy build his 40x60 and we added 24' lean-tos on both sides. 3 14' garage doors along one side and one on the other...

Reactions: Buckeyedude
I am personally thinking of going with a 30x40x16… but haven’t fully committed to size yet… just likely somewhere in that ballpark size wise!
In all my years I’ve never heard anyone say “I wish I built a smaller garage”. I’d go as big as your budget/land will allow. 😁
I recently purchased a single car garage to transform into a wood shop. I have a 2 car garage that I use to work on cars and non wood stuff but wanted s separate space for woodworking. I’d like it bigger but it works for me. IMG_3957.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
I was lucky. Place my wife and I purchased 6 yrs ago had a 36x48x16 shop. I thought I would never come close to using all that space. Guess what.. I can barely move around with all the stuff crammed in there. 4, 72" ztrurns, quad, snowmobile, tractor, various landscaping equipment, truck and plow. Told my wife I need more room and she didn't seem to agree, lol.

So, go big..

Lean-tos are very nice to have. Helped a buddy build his 40x60 and we added 24' lean-tos on both sides. 3 14' garage doors along one side and one on the other...
Im glad you posted that! Going big is always best, but once you hit a certain size wind load becomes an issue and you end up losing a lot of space (at least overhead) when you figure in your extra shoring! If you have the height to do it, attaching a lean to on the sides is a great way to expand as long as the wind flows and you dont have a snow build up on the roof(for us northern boys).

Reactions: SmokeRing0909
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky