Shop!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, have been pondering for a while on replacing my current shop… it was here when we bought the house but isn’t in the best of shape and is just a metal shell! I’d like to get one and insulate it so I can have a place to keep myself out of trouble and get out of the house to tinker around! Also to park the camper and a couple other pickup/cars in it too.

Just wondering if anyone has put a shop in recently, what you went with and how you like it!

I am personally thinking of going with a 30x40x16… but haven’t fully committed to size yet… just likely somewhere in that ballpark size wise!

Thanks for any input, appreciate it!

Reactions: JLeonard
Sounds like a good size, a leanto roof can always be added on the sides or ends for more cover. frost wont get on windows if in a car port. insulation is a must if heating, you can have a rain from the roof if none.

Wish I had that kind of space as well.
Wouldn't have had to sell all my big woodworking tools when we moved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Definitely make it as big as you can afford... cuz it's never gonna be big enough! Built my 60 X 40 with 18' tall ceiling in 2012.
If doing again I would probably go for spray in insulation... I live on top of a hill with lots of wind. Mine is heated and a/c for summer.
Currently looks like I played tetris in it with everything I have crammed in it.
In your climate you definitely want a reputable building for your snow loads... that's why I went with the one I did.

Ryan

Did a Morton 36x60x14 back in 2000. Just a shell , no crete , 3- skylights, 3 windows was approx $28k then. Since, added Crete and that's about it. Wish I had floor heat and insulated but couldn't justify the cost at the time. Was not sure if my job was going to allow me to stay or need to be relocated.
Floor heat is expensive but could partition off and do half or a small work area and cold storage the rest.

Neighbor's put in a Morton a few years ago.
After watching the design and construction, I would never put one in Idaho considering the snow load.
My brother lived in Warm River (passed away 1-1/2 years ago) and his shop was built with milled lodge pole sidewalls not sure the roof construction, but steel and decent pitch to get the slide

I strongly suggest taller as well... You'll want a minumum of 14' preferebly 16' tall doorway... Water/sewer to one corner (dump station for the RV)...
Friend of mine back in MN put up a shop. I convinced him to add water and sewer and a bathroom. He thanked me many times for the bathroom.

After watching the design and construction, I would never put one in Idaho considering the snow load.
My brother lived in Warm River (passed away 1-1/2 years ago) and his shop was built with milled lodge pole sidewalls not sure the roof construction, but steel and decent pitch to get the slide

Friend of mine back in MN put up a shop. I convinced him to add water and sewer and a bathroom. He thanked me many times for the bathroom.
I put up a Northland building, mainly built in MN, IA, and WI. As of 2012 they had never lost a building due to snow load. Each of the rafters are doubled up on 8' centers.
Was important to me cuz lost an older custom built shed in winter of 09/10... don't want it to happen again.
In fact they had 3 guys show up to start building the Monday after Thanksgiving. Materials were all here but nothing started... they squared the site and were ready to hang roof steel by Saturday, but was windy and their telehandler gelled up.

Ryan

Can't help Justin but I sure need a building like that! Have several friends that have built "barndominiums' in last few years and we've looking into that. I'm sure the roof/structure is beefed up in y'alls area.
Can't imagine the additional weight of the amounts of snowfall you get!

As you know.....always go big😅.

Keith

Thanks everyone for the replies… it is much appreciated! Definitely have some decisions to make when we get closer to doing this!

When built, Morton had the best snow load rating of the 3 we were dealing with.
Back then, we searched about the tallest of 5th wheels available. Most all were under 12' so went with the 14' sidewalls. These days I think there are many that are taller so the 16-18' would be the ticket.
The water, sewer, bathroom 👍

Justin, a 30x40 will be tight for a trailer a could cars/truck and tinker tools, I would do a 36x40 or a 30x48 to 60 if you can. Snow and wind loads are the two design elements that you will need to keep in mind. The wider you go the higher risk of failure from both. There are a ton of venders out these, but I would use in that has a design stamped by a P.E. I would go for a min of a 14 ft door as that will fit trailers and most non-farm stuff. That will mean 16-18 walls depending on the type of door. If you go wider than 24 most structure engineers are going to require a concrete floor for the lateral wind load. If you want to have it designed about your use you can share the details to Hansen Engineering and they will design one for the area

Hey Justin!

I'll chime in with the others saying build as big as you can afford in the space you have. I built my little welding shop nearly 3 years ago, 20 x 20. I build all I could afford at the time, but I've always wished it was bigger. And I wish I could have afforded to insulate it. Like your current shop, mine is just a sheet metal shell with no insulation. Gets too hot in the summer and much too cold in the winter for me to want to be in there.

One of these days, if I can save up enough money, I'll do the spray foam option like crankybuzzard crankybuzzard suggested.

Good luck with it buddy, whatever you build, let us know how it goes!
Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky