First timer smoking and with new 18" WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey since we're talking minion method on the WSM, i have used small splits in mine with the

method. runs a little hot 290-300 but works well and gives a smokey flavor. but it only takes a split or two i have found to do the job.

this was a bit much it was first time trying it

this one actually worked well because those are dry apple pieces and apple has a nice mellow flavor.

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

@jtung23   I have the Weber Smokey Mountain for a couple of years now, and will never understand the bottom grade set up lol. I absolutely love my WSM, but have only cooked a beer can chicken on the bottom rack along with ribs on top because its such a PITA to deal with and mess with anything on bottom grate. As stated above, the only way I have ever seen possible is removing the whole middle chamber in the middle of a cook, which is a PITA, because call me different, I love cooking with the water pan full of water. My temps stay constant for long timeeee, and meat is always nice and juicy, I use the minion method everytime, and never have to add charcoal for at least 5+ hours. And my temps fluctuate from 230-250. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky