thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pete Vance

Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
I have 18 inch WSM and use it occasionally. I look at the lid mounted thermometer and also a Thermopro probe to monitor the temp. I use a Pitmaster IQ to control the temp. As would be expected there is a difference between the two indicators.

Now my questions. What is the most accurate lid mounted thermometer? Where is the best place to put the probe for monitoring the temp of the smoker? I am now attaching the probes for the Thermopro and the Pitmaster IQ to the same rack as the meat. I usually only use the top rack for smoking. If I did use both racks where should I put the probes?

I know that these are basic questions but I don't smoke enough to have the experience, so I ask the experts.

Thanks, Pete

1) I don't know a lot about different lid thermometers, but I believe Tel-Tru is considered to be one of the better ones.
2) Measuring smoker temp should be done at the level where the food is.
3) If you are cooking on two levels, you test ahead of time with two probes and see what the difference is, if any, but probably not necessary as long as you have probes in each food item.
Using one probe, I'd put it on lower rack.

Others may have other thoughts...

What is the most accurate lid mounted thermometer?
I've found the stock Weber dial therms to be pretty accurate . As long as you know what the reading means it's good in my opinion .

The Tel-true therms are good , and most I've seen are adjustable .
I have an Old country on my 14" WSM , just because I wanted a larger dial I could see from inside the house . Some of the Old country therms are adjustable as well , if you want to match it up with a trusted wireless therm .

I agree with chopsaw that the oem Weber therms are pretty close. Close enough for smoking anyway. I used my WSM 18 for a number of years with only a wired remote thermometer for monitoring internal meat temp and relied on the lid thermometer for controlling pit temp. As far as thermometer placement for monitoring pit temp, at grate level is certainly the norm. But with my WSM I insert my ambient probe through the side grommet with the tip past the water pan or heat deflector out of the hot sidewall zone. Both work well, just be consistent.
Great question Pete. I hope we have answered your question.
Oh, and you need to use that WSM a lot more, it's a fantastic cooker!

Here are some tips that I've learned while using them that I hope can help you.

- If you're smoking on multiple racks, periodically rotate and swap the positions of your meat. This ensures even cooking and helps balance temperature differences between racks.

- Don't rely solely on the lid-mounted thermometer. Periodically check the temperatures at different parts of the smoker to ensure an even cooking environment.

- If you use your smoker regularly, take the opportunity to experiment with probe placements and observe temperature patterns in your particular setup. If it still has many problems, calm down and merge fruit will help you reduce stress.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky