First time using hog casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tasunkawitko

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 27, 2008
Chinook, Montana
Ii got home yesterday and saw that while I was at work, the Beautiful Mrs. Tas had actually read my shopping list this time, and got some hog casings for me at the local grocery in havre, which is 25 miles from home. I left a note on the list advising her to talk to the meat department guy if she had any troubles, and it looks like they got it figured out.

Here's what she got (she got one package, not 2):

81WxlmmoFpL._AA1500_.jpg

It's an 8-ounce package, and looks to be enough to last me for a while, since my batches are probably going to average 5 to 6 pounds each.

She said the little guy on the package looked happy, so that's why she got them.
noidea.gif

That, and it was the only brand.
2014_whistling_and_rolling_eyes.gif

She also said they had quite a few different sizes (i assume breakfast link, 52mm etc.), but the hog casings were the ones I asked for, so she got them. I'm simply thankful for having a wife who is supportive of my endeavours, and looking forward to trying these!

I'll give them a go and see how they work. If they don't come out good, I can order online, but I figured I would try shopping locally, first. The good news is that they cost a lot less thanIi was anticipating, so I won't be out much if they turn out to be a bummer.

Has anyone used these? What should I know about them?

Thanks!

Ron

Last edited:
Hey Was, good morning. I've used those and they work just fine. Just soak 'em in warm water for 30 minutes before you plan to use them. If you don't use them all up just put them in a jar and cover them with salt. Keep them in the fridge and they will stay good for a long time. Hope this helps you.  

Thanks, Bob - I'll give 'em a go ~ hopefully this weekend....My plan is to make some Swedish potatis korv for the Christmas season ~
beercheer.gif

52 mm casings usually are used for polish sausages. 46-48mm casings are for brats or italian sausage... for small breakfast links 22-24, 24-26mm casings are used. Make sure when you pack them back in salt you use non iodized salt..

Joe

A good soak would be in order.  As stated, remainders will last in the fridge with lots of salt or a heavy brine.  Major color changes or odors could indicate a problem.  Never had it happen, though.  Just use lots of salt and do thorough rinsing at the point of use.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky