First time using casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Leonard114

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Harpers ferry wv
hey everyone so I’m going to smoke some venison bologna and jerky tomorrow and I’m using casings for the bologna and this will be my first time using casings and I noticed one end of my casings have a tie around them and the other end is open so how does everyone close up the other end just tie it like a balloon or how??? Thanks!

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
hey everyone so I’m going to smoke some venison bologna and jerky tomorrow and I’m using casings for the bologna and this will be my first time using casings and I noticed one end of my casings have a tie around them and the other end is open so how does everyone close up the other end just tie it like a balloon or how??? Thanks!
I tie with string . I have hog rings and pliers use those sometimes , but not very often .
Get urself some kitchen twine , or butchers string . You can buy it at the grocery store .

I hate casings that are already tied at one end. I cut it off. Load on the stuffer tube then tie. Gets the air out.

Reactions: crazymoon
They are the fibrous ones and I’ll have to go look for that string tomorrow
Butchers string or twine is what i use. Im pretty sure its all cotton string. Just pack them tight ...give them a good twist or two and tie them up. You'll be good to go. Let us know how it goes.!

I've actually used little zip ties in a pinch when doing summer sausage in fibrous casing. Especially when I don't have a 2nd person helping.

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
Been using one of these for 35-40 years now. We used to make 300+ pounds of deer sausage every year and this thing was a time saver and works great. Probably not worth the cost for a 5-10# batch every now and then but if you wanna make a bunch at one time you won't regret having it. Yes you can't stuff your casing quite as full and still staple but if it costs 2 or 3 extra .65 cent casings over 300# of sausage it's well worth it.
https://www.waltonsinc.com/p694-bs-bag-sealing-stapler

bag%20stapler__18401.1383845757.JPG

Use twine most of the time , like I said above . Just wanted to add , I save all the twist ties from bread and buns . I use them sometimes too , but they come in handy when doing different types of sausage . Say you have regular and spicy or some with or without cheese . I use the different colors of twist ties to mark the sausage . Red = regular , blue , hot , yellow cheese .

Reactions: pc farmer
Thanks guys I made out pretty good using the twine today did 9 pounds of bologna and 2 pounds of jerky all very good! Did notice they shrunk in the casing a little bit but turned out good!

Attachments

• 0CE8C69A-9FA3-4758-BB21-FAB4D4F7C0D9.jpeg
    0CE8C69A-9FA3-4758-BB21-FAB4D4F7C0D9.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: jac63 and chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky