First smoke ever - Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ontherocks

Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Bay Area, CA
So I just picked up my first smoker last week and decided to jump in this weekend with a pork butt.  Got lazy and decided just to use some McCormick pork rub instead of trying some of the recipes out.  Used mustard as a base and let the butt sit for about a day in fridge.  Trying this with out foiling it's been in for about 10hrs and @ 225 and is currently at 172 will pull it at 200-205.  Can't wait for it to be done hopefully it will turn out pretty good.  Will show the finished product soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: joe black
Congrats on the new smoker and addiction, also welcome to SMF.
I'd say you're off to a good start with the MES, AMPS tray and Maverick ET-733.

10 hours at 225', and it's still stalled at 172' IT... How big a Butt is it?
At this point I'd be getting mighty tempted to crutch it and get it finished so as to have time to let it rest for a few hours.

Congrats on the new smoker and addiction, also welcome to SMF.
I'd say you're off to a good start with the MES, AMPS tray and Maverick ET-733.

10 hours at 225', and it's still stalled at 172' IT... How big a Butt is it?
At this point I'd be getting mighty tempted to crutch it and get it finished so as to have time to let it rest for a few hours.

It was an 8lb butt i ended up foiling it since we had a few friends stop by and have some sammies. Everything turned out pretty food the bark was a little soft from foiling it, but the sandwiches were good.
45e8463a8f1d88156174482ce765b354.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I really looks awesome. Especially pulled. I see that you're using bear paws to pull the meat. I think it's a lot easier to take out the bone and insert a cherry bomb. The results are basically the same as long as you like the flavor of gun powder.

Keep up the good work. :points:

Excellent job on your first smoke ever!

The PP looks fantastic!

I owe you a point, it seems I'm over my limit!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky