First Stab at Pork Belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

valanze

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 30, 2015
Central Valley in California
Decided to give Pork Belly a try. Thinking of going with my standard as far as rubs go:

• Onion Powder
  • Garlic Power
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Celery Seed
Cook low and slow until done. Now I decided since this was my first shot not to get a slab. I went with pre-cut from Costco. Anything I should look out for? Plan is to toss em on a sandwhich or turn into burnt ends. Not sure which yet. Might end up being both.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0066 Pork belly.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0066 Pork belly.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: nlife and JLeonard
Usually, the pre-sliced belly is too thin for burnt ends. And for sandwiches? The jury is out for that. What smoke are you using? Are you looking for a "bacon "profile for the sandwich? Will this be a hot sandwich or cold?

Judging by the pics, guessing better than 1/2" thick and probably more? That package weighs close to 5lbs, right

I would do this.

Rub with what you like. I'd omit the celery but I am no at all a fan of celery seed unless it's used very sparingly.

Hit with smoke on your pit racks. 210-240 for an hour, hour and a half.

Remove from smoker. Put it all in a foil pan. Sauce it just like you would do burnt ends, cover loosely and bake it at 350 for an hour, hour and a half, or continue to roll smoke at 350 for an hour or so.

Call them boneless belly ribs and enjoy. Here is a shot of some I did for a throwdown a while back, these weren't pre sliced but they are no more than 3/4" thick. This is before the final oven finish. I can't find a pic of the sauced and finished product.

1705014099360.png

Reactions: 02ebz06
How thick are the slices? That would determine which way I'd go.

I checked the Costco pack I have in the freezer and they're tad over 1" give or take a bit due to slicing variations.

We like to turn these into Hong Shao Rou - Red Braised Pork though your boneless pork ribs look pretty fantastic Hijack73 Hijack73 !

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky