Cooking meat and lost power!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Southernburner

Original poster
Aug 6, 2023
So first attempt at smoking and I was trying to make burnt ends with pork belly, had the pork belly on for about 30min sat 250 and my subdivision lost power and still has no power ( 4hrs later ) should I just toss the meat?

I would say yes. I'm sure that the meat didnt get out of the danger zone (40-140 degrees) in the brief time you had it under smoke. And its been sitting for 4 hours. I'd toss rather than run the risk of making someone sick.

Jim

I would toss it just to be safe. Next thing I would look into would be a small portable generator. Not just for your smoker but for running anything else you would want to have running in a power outage. There are also power banks but they are much more expensive.

Welcome to the forum , and yes that sucks and yes meat not safe.
with the times you said here.

Maybe could have finished in the BBQ with a smoke tube , but easy for me to say from the outside looking in.

For future , like Chris Chris_in_SoCal Chris_in_SoCal said a generator in your future if not in an apartment.

Don't worry , more time to do it again .

David

Last time and only time I've had that happen, I fired up a Kettle. Always good to have a Kettle around.

As for your meat, I would say its a loss.

Reactions: chopsaw
Keep the meat, toss the smoker and get a stick burner. Problem solved.

Just teasing. I completely understand the feeling when the power goes out. Happens here all the time. Sorry for your loss on the meat.

If cured and still raw or par cooked in burnt end pieces, then you have time and temp to keep away foodbourne pathogens. If the meat was uncured intact and sugared, salted with a rub with sugar/vinegar bbq sauce I'd find a charcoal grill, gas stove, oven or gas grill to finish and keep cooking. We don't know your variables with other methods of food preservation before refrigeration to give you a little more time to make a wise decision. Most things added to burnt ends: ketchup, mustard, jelly, jams, bbq sauces, vinegars, fermented hot sauce and more are 3.7ph, well below 4.2ph to keep at room temp stable as an alone condiment. This wouldn't keep your burnt ends room temp stable but would keep bacteria on the outside from vegetating quickly and give you time to continue cooking, but we don't know your situation.

4 hours is kind of the border line, but better safe than sorry. Toss it.
I solved the power outage problem.
I use and inverter and a battery to provide the power to outdoor cookers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky