End dates and curing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pit pixie

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Southampton England 🇬🇧
Hi everyone,

I am curing some bacon today. This is probably a silly question.
My belly pork has a shelf life of August 9th on it.
Today is the 5th if Iam curing the belly to smoke for bacon, does the shelf life make any difference?
Also how much longer does the meat last after the curing & smoking process?

I have done this before and sometimes it last a few days and other a couple of weeks.

I guess I am wondering if there is a way of knowing as I am guessing with the dares so far.
Thank you all.

That's not actually a shelf life, it's a 'use by' or 'sell by' date. Once you introduce salt and cure you will be fine for your 7, 10, or 14 day curing time.

Brine cured bacon will keep up to 10 days in the refrigerator when sliced, and a little longer if in slab form.

Dry cured bacon will keep 2 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator if sliced, and up to 6 weeks in the refrigerator if kept in slab form. If frozen the USDA recommends 3 months, but I've used it a year later and could not notice a difference.

So after the curing period, I am doing 7 days, it should last at lest a month to 6 weeks if kept as one slab. I will be smoking it after the cure would this help with the life of the meat past the appx 6weeks you have said about?

Reactions: JLeonard
Reactions: Pit pixie
I would also say be careful how you store it in the fridge post smoke . Keeping it in a plastic bag can cause condensation resulting in surface mold from my experience .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky