Firearms, AK Conversion, Saiga to 103

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sent my Saiga 7.62x39 off a couple months back to be converted to a AK-103.
My builder has finally gotten to in the queue and started work.
I'm so excited that I feel like a little kid who knows Santa is bringing him everything he asked for in his letter.

She looked like this when she left.
ncll5v5h.jpg

Now she's looking like this,

A little more work, range test and finishing... About two to three weeks and she'll back home.

Can’t see photo, says we need to be logged in. Congrats on getting some work. It’s always a good feeling.

Looks good kinda seems expensive for what you're doing. I' am sure that's not cheap. Could you not have just purchased an Ak in the x39 chambering where you're at since u seem to be able to use hi caps too. I have to say I' am not familiar with the conversion you're having done. More info lol looks nice though we like firearms...

Reactions: chilerelleno
Looks good kinda seems expensive for what you're doing. I' am sure that's not cheap. Could you not have just purchased an Ak in the x39 chambering where you're at since u seem to be able to use hi caps too. I have to say I' am not familiar with the conversion you're having done. More info lol looks nice though we like firearms...
Yeah, it'll be pretty nice when done, and no it's not cheap. It'll run me around $800.-$1000. once all said and done. And that's hundreds less than the $1200.-$1500. quotes I got from other builders.
Even with what I originally paid for this rifle years ago and this current work, it'll cost less than buying essentially the same rifle, e.g. an Arsenal SGL-21. They sell for $2000.-$4000. depending on condition.

Yes, I could've bought any number of other AK rifles, and I have other AK rifles.
But the Saigas are highly desirable Russian rifles and made in Izhmash factory same as other Kalashnikov military rifles.

What we're doing here is converting my "Sporter/Import" version to a correct military AK-103 version.

This is a Bulgarian made Arsenal SLR-107FR.
20220306_142103.jpg
20220306_142116.jpg

Last edited:
They should have made the Banana clip longer.
Then Charlie would have had to stand up to fire it!
I brought one home. Sold it cheap to get away from it.

Bear

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
Yeah, I have to say I am a fan of the Saiga Shotties 100% LOL. Looks great keep us updated. No offense though but I still gotta say I prefer my M1A though that bad boy wasn't cheap lol.
Yeah, I have to say I'm with you on both counts.
RebornRight.jpg
20220306_141403 - Copy.jpg

They should have made the Banana clip longer.
Then Charlie would have had to stand up to fire it!
I brought one home. Sold it cheap to get away from it.

Bear
Bearcarver Bearcarver
John, you're saying you had a documented Vietnam bring back Chi-Com or even Russian AK47?
Do you've any idea what they're worth now?
$30k... $40k... $50k even depending on condition.

30rd mags are quite doable prone with ARs, AKs and others.

Last edited:
Reactions: TH-n-PA
No lie for anyone really those 30 rounders don't clear the ground when prone LOL. I'll take a drum please.
They can and do, not the most ideal prone position or comfortable, but doable.
Small drums may be easier prone, but damned if they aren't heavier.
Everything's a trade-off.

They can and do, not the most ideal prone position or comfortable, but doable.
Small drums may be easier prone, but damned if they aren't heavier.
Everything's a trade-off.

The ones I saw were total JUNK !
The only way you could fire in prone position would be to pop your head way up out of cover, or turn the weapon sideways. The inside looked like an idiot put it together in the back of his hooch, with things like piano wire. It was all scratched & chipped up, and the only thing that was any good was the bore of the barrel, which looked brand new, like it was never fired, and only used to dig foxholes, like a shovel.
I'd take my M16 way before an AK, any day!
I got a picture of it somewhere.

Bear

• Haha
The ones I saw were total JUNK !
The only way you could fire in prone position would be to pop your head way up out of cover, or turn the weapon sideways. The inside looked like an idiot put it together in the back of his hooch, with things like piano wire. It was all scratched & chipped up, and the only thing that was any good was the bore of the barrel, which looked brand new, like it was never fired, and only used to dig foxholes, like a shovel.
I'd take my M16 way before an AK, any day!
I got a picture of it somewhere.

Bear
I can imagine.
A tool of war for a soldier that was barely in the 20th century, and talk about harsh conditions.

But dang, even if kept in that condition till now, it'd be worth bucks.

I like both the M16, M14 and AK, and have one or more of each in my possession.

Did you say looked like it was used as a shovel?
Maybe it was a used shovel. LOL!

• Haha
I bought two Bulgarian made AK style rifles back in 1996 or 97. Arsenal SLR95's with milled receivers rather than stamped. They were dirt cheap at the time. I think I paid about $500 a piece for them or something like that.
The SLR95 now demands three to four times what you paid.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky