FINISHING SAUCE (for Pulled Pork)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I got two in the cooler now going to give this a try I also tried not wrapping at 160 I just smoked all the way to 200 looks like I have a much firmer bark we will see which way I prefer my last two I wrapped after 160 and it was amazing so I might be hard to beat thanks for the sauce though

Conclusion is the sauce is a nice tangy flavor but i do perfer the wrapping of the butt after 160 the bark today was a little bit bitter after smoking for 12 hours but still a great final product cant beat juicy pulled pork for dinner thanks guys

The Finishing Sauce I use is as follows:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar

2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning

1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper

1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

If you've never done Pulled Pork with a "Finishing Sauce" before, you're in for a real treat!!!! It's the secret ingredient that alot of Quer's don't know about, and part of the reason people at my 'Q Parties say "they've never had Pulled Pork that tasted this good, before!".

Jeff

I cannot wait to try this! I've been looking for something to make pulled pork worth my time. I love pulled pork (or meat in general) and I am not a picky eater. I have a hard time finding pulled pork that is not dry or just tastes bad, this sounds like it will be amazing! Especially since I have family members that aren't fans of BBQ sauce [emoji]128553[/emoji]

We have 2 pork butts on since 6 am, I will definitely try the Finishing Sauce.  One butt is headed to Clemson for the game tomorrow, #3 vs #5, U of Louisville Cardinals and the Clemson Tigers.  Ought to be a great game and some darn good pulled pork.
yahoo.gif

Very good sauce for mopping I wish i had this a couple of weeks ago! Mine is much more involved. Thanks!

Sausage Head Go to that forum, i am going to post some good info on recipes on what I use for those that have any interest. These have served me well fpr many years, Some new some old school styles.

Again thanks for the mop!!!

BTW I just found this site recently Very good place to look at compared to others, not nearly the bickering of other sites, that means alot to me anyway!

I got this recipe out of an old news paper clipping stuck in a cookbook my wife picked up at a garage sale and gave it a try this past weekend... everyone loved it! I still want to tweak it a bit but so far this is one of my favorites.

Here is the finishing sauce recipe for
Eastern North Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ

3/4 C white vinegar

2 T Louisiana hot sauce

1 T brown sugar

1 T sugar

1 T kosher salt

1 t crushed red pepper flakes

1 t fresh ground black pepper

1/2 t cayenne pepper

whisk all together - well. Add to pork after it has been cooked and chopped/pulled.

Top with coleslaw.

Thanks @NW-bubba! I used this finishing sauce last night and it really kicked up the pp nicely! First butt in a WSM 18 and first with a finishing sauce.
View media item 521870View media item 521871

Tried this finishing sauce today on some pulled pork and damn it was good! Everyone at my office loved it. I will  definitely be using this from now on!

Thanks so much for sharing this....I realize this was quite a few years ago, but I just started smoking meat recently. I knew I had had pulled pork in a vinegar-based sauce before, so went searching and found this...sounds perfect!! My pork butt is coming out of the smoker in a couple of hours, I will be using this!!

I have 3 butts in the smoker right now..... inaugural run for my birthday present..... I have used your finishing sauce since the beginning, and there is no reason to change it up! It is perfect and I have never met a person that didn't ask for 2nd.....or 3rd helpings!!
Let's hope my new Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite.......seasoned all day yesterday......will do as good as my old offset!

I am planning on using finishing sauce on my first Pp this weekend. I just made up a batch of this and wondering if I did something wrong. My batch has a very overpowering vinegar taste. Did I do something wrong or am I confusing finishing sauce with a BBQ sauce perhaps. Is it that it's not meant to be so tasty solo but rather in small amounts compliments the meat?

Is the original recipe for 1 average size pork butt?  Do you use all of it on the pulled pork?

Another fan here! Just made my first pulled pork last night. It was good on its own, but then I hit it with the finishing sauce and wow! I didn't think it was vinegary at all. I thought it really enhanced the sweetness and moisture of the pork.

I'm a noob. Just got here....I'll be trying this very soon.

Ohhh! and go ahead with the secret rub...Im listening!

Long time lurker (I've learned a lot from this forum!), first time poster with a question:

I've got a shoulder on the pellet grill now, but am taking it to the lake to eat on Friday night. I'll vac seal it. When should I pull it and sauce it? As soon as it's done, or after reheating it at the lake?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky