Favorite widely available bourbon or whiskey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Glad to hear you liked it. I had no idea if this was good compared to other scotches. Bummer the flask wasn't included.
Im no connoisseur, just a guy with a drinking problem, but I would get it again! ( hopefully with a flask next time lol)

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
Greetings everyone,
I've recently started a small bourbon/whiskey/scotch collection and am shooting to add to it. So, what's your favorite bourbon/whiskey etc. under ~$50. Bonus points if it's widely available. This is my current meager collection:
View attachment 522066
Evan Williams and also Rebecca Creek.

HT

Reactions: pc farmer
speaking (easily?) of Speakeasies, the Barfield Hotel in downtown Amarillo has one in the basement called Paramount. Follow the embedded bullets in the floor to a corner with an old cigarette machine. Pull the handle for a pack of Paramount cigarettes and a hidden door behind you opens to the bar. They specialize in smoked drinks, so it smells great in there!

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
This thread still going is awesome.

I also really like the EW bottled in bond. Can't beat that quality for that price.

Tin Cup is excellent,
Buffalo Trace ( Older than the US).
Bulleit has been a standard over the holidays.

I have to put a plug in for a bottle of Templeton Rye. It was Al Capone favorite, they found the recipe after it’d been lost a while ago and we’re doing small batch, went national a few years back.I love the flavor!
View attachment 522110
I recall only being able to get this in Chicago and Iowa..Now its everywhere

There was a time way back where I was asked to "volunteer" to be the bar manager at our ELKs until the trustees could hire someone.

Jack was so popular back then and we only had one Jack Daniels supplier I had to buy several other cases of other brands before they'd let me buy one case of Jack.

We also sold a lot of Chevas and always had several extra cases on hand. Do people even drink that much anymore? We sold a lot.

Absolutely unrelated to this thread but as long as I mentioned it, and can remember it I had to hire a bartender and I hired a beautiful 21 YO girl named April. Bar does a million dollars a year business.

Fantastic girl and everyone loved her except a couple of the old hag wives but back then they had no say.
April walked out after each shift with her purse and pockets back loaded with cash tips and we paid her well + Health insurance. Big money she was pulling from the whisky drinkers.

Her parents wanted her to pay $75 a month rent now that she was working and hauling in serious bank and she just wasn't going to pay it.

We're talking a harbor home on the water in Newport bay.
It's why we call them kids.

Her parents wanted her to pay $75 a month rent now that she was working and hauling in serious bank and she just wasn't going to pay it.

After graduating high school in 1979, I had no plans for college and got a low paying job. My parents did the same thing with me and asked for $75 a month. Didn't take me long to get an apartment with my girlfriend, just to get out from under their thumb. Wish I had been making bank like that girl.

She eventually started coming in late then later, and even later than later.
The trustees eventually hired a real bar manager and the first thing he did was fire her.
That's my career as a work-for-free-bar manager.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tonight we'll be heading up to the Pioneer Saloon South of Las Vegas Nv.
Blasting thru the desert in the Can Am:
ZKnfblW.jpg

rs=w:1023,cg:true.jpg

Cowboys in the area seem to come in late and order Pendleton. Probably because it's cheap. Full of that natural wit, humor and character.
If no Blantons then of course I'll order Pendelton. You will meet the most amazing interesting people here drinking Whisky.

It's the bar where Actor Clark Gable sat while recovery crews scaled nearby Mt Potosi to recover victim's of a plane crash, one being Gables wife actress Carole Lombard.
Gables cigarette burns:
Pioneer69_SM-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:
Some good stuff there for sure. Give Evan Williams (white label) a try. It's bottled in bond and very tasty and cheap. My other usual is Old Forester 100. Knob Creek Rye may be my favorite. Most bottles I try to stay under $30.

All are excellent. I love Buffalo Trace also....cheap and tasty. Also four roses.

Fellow whiskey lover here. In the last year I have tried and liked:

Wyoming Whiskey
Old Forester 1910
Russell's - Single barrel and private barrel
Bardstown Origen Bottled in bond black label

All of these were very good and easy sippers. I like sweeter whiskeys and the Russell's and Bardstown are good for that. Some of these may be slightly over 50. but worth it.

Long ago when I was working at the local Budweiser brewery Bud was the only beer that used toasted barley in Bock Beer. It made it dark and added to the flavor. All the other world brewers used dyes. I doubt it's that way anymore but unique for its day.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky