Favorite widely available bourbon or whiskey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
...bottle of WT 101 and a bottle of Bulleit Rye, mix them in a glass 50/50...
Now there's a mixed drink I'm going to try. If the typical rye contains an overwhelming amount of that grain in the mash bill, no wonder an old bourbon drinker like me finds them a bit off-putting. I haven't traditionally liked ryes, but like you said we just have to fool our tastebuds by sneaking up on them!
And nice research on the Midwest Grain Products selling high-rye mash bill stuff to all those Kentucky and Tennessee distillers.

Reactions: noboundaries
A splurge for me, but Elijah Craig barrel proof was very nice. This bottle was like 124, but way, way smoother than Booker

I am lucky to have a buddy that travels all over the state of Texas and is able to get allocated bottles from stores that don't have the demand that they do in DFW.
But my low cost go to is Elijah Craig Rye. I like the vanilla sweeter finish that is has and it is easy to find and ~$30/btl.

Jason

My usual bourbon is Woodford Reserve. I keep one bottle on the bar for drinking neat and another in the freezer for manhattans. The best value used to be Eagle Rare at about $32 per bottle, but it drank like a more expensive bottle. Unfortunately, they jacked up the prices a little higher than they should have.

But my absolute go to whiskey isn't bourbon. It's not uncommon for me to polish off a bottle of the stout version of the Jameson Caskmates in a single sitting.
For years I was convinced Jack Daniels was the best all around Whiskey. . . .smooth and great taste. Then I discovered aged Canadian Whiskey and have thought that was a bit smoother. Recently my wife gave me a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey and I think that is the best yet. I'd be curious to know what your experiences have been with these whiskeys and if there are others you think might be better and smoother. Thanks.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
For years I was convinced Jack Daniels was the best all around Whiskey. . . .smooth and great taste. Then I discovered aged Canadian Whiskey and have thought that was a bit smoother. Recently my wife gave me a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey and I think that is the best yet. I'd be curious to know what your experiences have been with these whiskeys and if there are others you think might be better and smoother. Thanks.
If there's one thing I've learned in my whisky/whiskey/Bourbon journey, it's that one's taste evolves over time. I started with Bourbon, then brandy, moved on to Irish, then worked my way through 3 of the Scottish regions, sampled Canadian, and now I'm into ryes. When I find a juice that doesn't float my boat, I use it in blends with other juices to get unique or complex flavors.

Kilbeggan is my favorite Irish.
Wild Turkey 101 and Rye 101 are my favorite Kentucky juices.
Frey Ranch Bourbon is my favorite 4-grain.
Bulleit Rye will always be in my cabinet.
Laphroaig 10 year is my affordable Islay scotch. I enjoy other scotches but ain't paying $70‐$150 for something that cost half as much 10 years ago. When those bottles run out, they go on my Christmas wish list, which is how I got the ones I have.

Enjoy the journey.

Ray

PG, IMHO the Bushmill Irish whiskies are much tastier than Jameson, give them a try when the Jameson runs out.

Reactions: KillerKustums
The Glenlivet 18
1000011563.jpg

Last edited:
I went to a fundraiser a few months ago. I won 2nd pick overall to buy any bourbon that was in the lot. Pappy Van Winkle 23 went first...of course. So I bought the Old Fitzgerald 17 for about $200 + tax :emoji_astonished:. After market it is worth about $800. We cracked it open on Thanksgiving. Sipped it neat.
  • First sip was not as smooth as I expected
  • Second sip was super smooth
  • third was awesome, great flavor and smoooooth (with a lot of O's)
It is definitely one of my top 5 faves but I doubt I spring $200 for another bottle. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind being gifted a bottle on my birthday or for Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_1385.jpg
    IMG_1385.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 21
I went to a fundraiser a few months ago. I won 2nd pick overall to buy any bourbon that was in the lot. Pappy Van Winkle 23 went first...of course. So I bought the Old Fitzgerald 17 for about $200 + tax :emoji_astonished:. After market it is worth about $800. We cracked it open on Thanksgiving. Sipped it neat.
  • First sip was not as smooth as I expected
  • Second sip was super smooth
  • third was awesome, great flavor and smoooooth (with a lot of O's)
It is definitely one of my top 5 faves but I doubt I spring $200 for another bottle. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind being gifted a bottle on my birthday or for Christmas.
Lucky man, I'd love a swig of that...

Here's what I sipped last night. It is a birthday present...
20231201_203747[1].jpg

If in San Diego consider visiting the Aero Club. Generous pour of Blantons $20 and up.
5988809080_c43c1f0e6f_c.jpg

crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60.jpg

The Speakeasy underground bar at the Mob Museum. Bootleg Whiskey bottle served in a hollowed out bible:
o.jpg

o.jpg

Get the password off the Website and enter through the back door,, free entry.

Last edited:
The Speakeasy bar mentioned above reminds me of Lincolns, in Portland, Maine. https://www.facebook.com/LincolnsPortlandMaine/about

It's not known for high-end liquor; it's called Lincolns because all drinks (beer, wine, liquor) are $5, cash only. It's also meant to replicate a speakeasy; once inside the decor is comfy old-timey. And they don't publish an address, though you can find it elsewhere on the web. No outside signage of any kind. There is an unmarked stairway leading down to a room with no obvious exit. Before my visit I'd read that the door into the bar was behind a swinging bookcase in that room, but when I was there that wasn't how it worked; the room had been completely reworked and the door had been hidden differently. It was a fun visit.

Coming home from work yesterday. And stopped at the local liquor store . And they had a tasting booth set up.

View attachment 676791

I'm not a fan of scotch. But When asked if I'd like to try it. I couldn't say no. The lady was very pretty! Now, since I don't drink it. I can't compare it to other brands. But I was quite impressed with the flavor. And at 30.00 a 750 ml. The price seemed fair enough. The little copper flak is cool too. She said that was how it got its name.
I found this locally here after seeing your post. I did enjoy it, but was disappointed it didnt come with the flask:emoji_disappointed:

The Speakeasy bar mentioned above reminds me of Lincolns, in Portland, Maine. https://www.facebook.com/LincolnsPortlandMaine/about

It's not known for high-end liquor; it's called Lincolns because all drinks (beer, wine, liquor) are $5, cash only. It's also meant to replicate a speakeasy; once inside the decor is comfy old-timey. And they don't publish an address, though you can find it elsewhere on the web. No outside signage of any kind. There is an unmarked stairway leading down to a room with no obvious exit. Before my visit I'd read that the door into the bar was behind a swinging bookcase in that room, but when I was there that wasn't how it worked; the room had been completely reworked and the door had been hidden differently. It was a fun visit.
Similar to the Hell or High Water bar in Louisville, KY.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky