Fat Fired Weizenboch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

diesel

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Powhatan, Virginia
I just opened a bottle of my latest homebrew.  Best one yet even though it was only my third try.  This was a parshall extract brew w/ specialty grains.  I got the recipe from the joy of home brewing 3rd addition.

The beer brewed for 3 weeks without secondary. I haven't done secondary yet.  then I bottled and let set for 2 more weeks.  The ABV came in around 7.35%.  My OG was a little off but practice makes perfect.  I hope to do my first All grain this coming weekend.

Side note.  I was a little weary of the green bottles (only used 2) because the cap didn't seem like it was fitting correctly.  But as you can see it didn't leak.

thanks for looking.

Beer view.

64575c74_weizenboch.jpg

Looks Great!

Are you aware of the effects of sunlight on beer in green bottles?  Keep them out of the light so you don't end up with skunky off-flavors and off-aromas.

(for those who are unaware - when ultraviolet light strikes hop resins, they break off and combine with a sulphur atom to form a mercaptan, which is exactly the same chemical that skunks spray.  Brown glass blocks most UV light.  Green and clear bottles let the UV through, hence skunky greenies and Corona).

HTH-

BDawg,

Thanks for the information.  I had read about not using clear bottles but wasn't aware of the green having the same issue.  Fortunately, I only used two and they were never exposed to sunlight.  I will just throw them away and keep saving brown bottles.  Maybe one day (soon) I will have the keg setup.  And no more bottling.  Or not as much.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky