Need HELP (lol)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3roosters

Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
I am new to cold smoking, and trying my hand with this rig I put together. My question is (and I don't have a picture without the 3' extension) the cheese seams like the smoke is over powering and I was getting moisture in the grill. Now in the pictures you can see the 3' extension in between, I didn't get any moisture in the grill, the heat in the extension only went maybe halfway, warm to the touch. I smoked the cheese for 4 hours (sorry no pic.) Haven't tasted this batch yet. Should I leave the extension on, make it shorter? The temps are at the grate, when started and during. thanks for any thoughts.
20240221_125125.jpg
20240221_125110.jpg
20240221_125135.jpg
20240221_132108.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
3R, Looks like a lot of smoke. No vents on the Alpine jobbie and some creosote(?) running down the smoke chamber(maybe not). Your temps look good IMHO but the volume of smoke to the small chamber appears to be a lot ?

Reactions: gmc2003 and TNJAKE
I am new to cold smoking, and trying my hand with this rig I put together. My question is (and I don't have a picture without the 3' extension) the cheese seams like the smoke is over powering and I was getting moisture in the grill. Now in the pictures you can see the 3' extension in between, I didn't get any moisture in the grill, the heat in the extension only went maybe halfway, warm to the touch. I smoked the cheese for 4 hours (sorry no pic.) Haven't tasted this batch yet. Should I leave the extension on, make it shorter? The temps are at the grate, when started and during. thanks for any thoughts. View attachment 689495View attachment 689496View attachment 689497View attachment 689498
Hi there and welcome!

As pointed out, it seems you have no smoke coming out which is bad, and even worse for cold smoking!

If smoke is not steadily entering and exiting then you will get bad flavors, especially with cold smoking.
With cold smoking there is a very real problem of stale smoke which tastes strong and horrible. Stale smoke is smoke that sits and lingers too long (no oxygen left in it I believe).
I have had a little issue with stale smoke when I started cold smoking.

The solution is to ensure you have draft going where the smoke easily and constantly can exit the smoker.
I rigged up a contraption that is a cardboard tube that I placed over my smoker vent. I rigged up a computer blower fan so it blew UPWARDS into the cardboard tube which caused a draft sucking out the smoke from the vent at a steady pace. This created the draft and kept the smoking flowing out vs lingering and becoming stale.
This solved all my cold smoke issues with bad and stale smoke flavors.

I'm pretty sure you are running into this type of problem. Let me know if this info helps :)

3R, Looks like a lot of smoke. No vents on the Alpine jobbie and some creosote(?) running down the smoke chamber(maybe not). Your temps look good IMHO but the volume of smoke to the small chamber appears to be a lot ?
the creosote was from the time before I added the extension. the masterbuilt makes a lot of smoke, not sure how to control that?

Hi there and welcome!

As pointed out, it seems you have no smoke coming out which is bad, and even worse for cold smoking!

If smoke is not steadily entering and exiting then you will get bad flavors, especially with cold smoking.
With cold smoking there is a very real problem of stale smoke which tastes strong and horrible. Stale smoke is smoke that sits and lingers too long (no oxygen left in it I believe).

The solution is to ensure you have draft going where the smoke easily and constantly can exit the smoker.
I rigged up a contraption that is a cardboard tube that I placed over my smoker vent. I rigged up a computer blower fan so it blew UPWARDS into the cardboard tube which caused a draft sucking out the smoke from the vent at a steady pace. This created the draft and kept the smoking flowing out vs lingering and becoming stale.

I'm pretty sure you are running into this type of problem. Let me know if this info helps :)
That makes a lot of sense, I tried opening the ash pan to get a draft going but not much luck. maybe I'll have to vent the top more (drill holes) to get the old smoke out. And add a small fan like you said. thanks for the tip.

Reactions: tallbm
the masterbuilt makes a lot of smoke, not sure how to control that?
I don't have one , and never used one . All the pics I see of people that do use them , the inside of the smoker looks like a tar pit . My thoughts are not enough oxygen to create a clean burn .
Also like said already small chamber and the smoke isn't moving through fast enough .
My opinion is it starts with the cold smoker though .

Hi there and welcome!

what do you think about a fan in the tube between? I think I have seen fans that fit duck work. but probably need to control the speed (slow)

I don't have one , and never used one . All the pics I see of people that do use them , the inside of the smoker looks like a tar pit . My thoughts are not enough oxygen to create a clean burn .
Also like said already small chamber and the smoke isn't moving through fast enough .
My opinion is it starts with the cold smoker though .
yes, it's looking like a tar pit. Need to get some air flowing some how. I believe

If nothing else at least crack the lid open... Cut back on smoke time as well... Most all cheese taste like an ashtray sraight out of the cold smoker... vacuum seal them and lest rest in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks

what do you think about a fan in the tube between? I think I have seen fans that fit duck work. but probably need to control the speed (slow)
It's worth a try.
I mean if it gets it moving fast so that it goes through the tube, over the cheese and then out from the cheese that would work. Nothing but trying will let you know if that is how it behaves lol

Reactions: 3roosters
If nothing else at least crack the lid open... Cut back on smoke time as well... Most all cheese taste like an ashtray sraight out of the cold smoker... vacuum seal them and lest rest in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks
I do vacuum seal them for 2 weeks, i will try cracking the lid next time before I drill any holes. thanks

I looked up Alpine Cuisine and see it is a small kettle type with a vented cover?
You have way too much smoke from that master crap smoke generator. (Sorry, not a big fan of Masterbuilt products) for a small kettle.
I cold smoke in a 18" or 22" Weber kettle or Big Chief with a smoke tube filled with pellets. More than enough smoke

Instead of the smoke generator, attach the end of that long tube to a mailbox and use pellets in a AMNPS. Would be perfect for cold smoking.

When I cold smoke cheese, I use an amazen (spelling?) tray partially filled with pellets. Smoke for two hrs max and vacuum seal. Works great.

When I cold smoke cheese, I use an amazen (spelling?) tray partially filled with pellets. Smoke for two hrs max and vacuum seal. Works great.
Yes I will try that. I think this little smoker is for a lot bigger kettle, which I don't need. thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky