Doing better with the big bird!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matt r

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
Long Island, New York
So I gave turkey another shot. My last try (see Rubber Turkey thread) didn't go so well. It wasn't *bad* but it wasn't wonderful either.
This time I didn't brine or inject. I put some butter and spices under the skin (I tried Bells Turkey Seasoning...it was ok) and rubbed the whole thing down with more of the same. I kept it uncovered in the fridge overnight, and then let it sit out about 90 minutes to bring it to room temp before hitting the Traeger.
This time, I set the machine to the smoke setting, and let the bird absorb some tbs for 2 hourse. BTW the bird was about 15 lbs and I kept it on a rack in an aluminum pan to collect the juices.
After the two hours (Hickory pellets) I boosted the temp to 325 and let that boy go until it hit 163. At that point I brought the temp to 375 and let her crisp up a bit. At IT 165 I pulled her.
Well. Crispy golden brown skin. Juicy as all hell. Just really perfect! It was really good. Now I just have to convince the wifey to let me smoke the Thanksgiving bird!
I think Drying it out overnight in the fridge did the trick.

Reactions: zwiller
Careful on the bringing up to room temp. Dicey on poultry. Most don't advocate that. Longest I would go would be 15-30m or so hitting it with a fan while smoker heats up. Sounds like you got the skin down, time to move onto injecting or brining. Absolutely necessary for poultry IMO. We do 2 birds here. Wife does hers and I do mine.

Sounds really good. I don't even bother asking to smoke the turkey for thanksgiving. That's the wifes domain. I'll pick and choose my battles wisely.

Good luck.
Chris

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky