Do I Brine a Boston Butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Why do you say that? Why wouldn’t I want to save the drippings as a beginner?
Just keeping it simple.

Newbies tend to overthink and question what's happening on a long smoke especially when inserting a meat probe at the beginning of a smoke. I know I did when I first started long smokes. Early stalls, late stalls, 3 or 4 stalls AFTER the main stall. All that is normal and inconsistent when smoking butts. I don't insert a meat probe until the butt had been on the smoker for an hour per pound so I miss all that.

If you are concerned about airflow, don't use a pan. I've smoked at 225F to 375F on the grate, in an aluminum pan, in a paella pan, on racks in aluminum pans and paella pans, with a pan below the grate with the meat (which can burn the drippings if too near the fire). The butt is done when butter tender to a probe no matter how you smoke it, pan or not. You won't have bark on the pan side, so put the fat side down so you get bark on the rest of the meat.

Or keep it simple and save the pan for the next butt. Either way works and each will smoke slightly different, but not enough to generate any concern.

I've seen this posted in a couple threads now... what exactly does "Probe Tender" mean? The meat doesn't resist when you push a temp probe from the outside to the center? If I'm using a probe setup that stays inserted for the whole cook (inkbird IBT-4XS), do I just pull the probe and re-insert a few times to check for probe tenderness when I think it's done?

Exactly. People say it’s supposed to be like probing into butter or peanut butter. There should be very little resistance and yeah, just pull out the probe and check around for tenderness.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I've seen this posted in a couple threads now... what exactly does "Probe Tender" mean? The meat doesn't resist when you push a temp probe from the outside to the center? If I'm using a probe setup that stays inserted for the whole cook (inkbird IBT-4XS), do I just pull the probe and re-insert a few times to check for probe tenderness when I think it's done?

The best way to describe probe tender: you will feel slight resistance as you pierce the bark then the probe will slide in very easy. You can use a tooth pick, bbq skewer, or an instant read thermometer probe.
You can always check the bone in a bone in pork butt. When the bone wiggles, the butt is done.

I forgot to say that you could use one of the probes from your Inkbird too. Leave your IT monitoring probe where you placed it and undisturbed.

It takes time and experience but eventually you will overcome your fear of meat drying out and embrace full collegen breakdown. My butts come off the smoker in chunks...

PROBE(Verb) TENDER...As in the Action...Anything you stick in can be your Probe. A Therm Probe, Chopstick, Pot Fork, Bamboo Skewers, anything. If it slides in with little to no resistance, the meat is done. The Therm Probe is just the most convenient.
Fun Stuff, learning all these BBQ Tricks and Lingo!
You are going to love learning about Carryover Cooking and Rest adjustment IT.:emoji_wink: ...JJ

That does remind me, I’ve seen people pull to rest at various temperatures from 190 to 205 because of varying thoughts and some people agreeing that the temp will continue to go up while resting.. so.. any concrete thoughts lol

The use of thermometers by kitchen cooks and backyard pitmasters is a relatively new trend. People cooked and smoked tender meat for millenia without benefit of technology. A lot still do. They developed instincts with experience and practice. Thermometers can help accelerate experience, but is not a substitute.

What do you want? Tender meat. Smoke and cook the meat until it is butter tender, then check the temp. The next roast may finish at the same temp, or not. 2F-5F can make the difference between a dry, undercooked butt, and a juicy, tender one.

I cooked, grilled, and roasted meats for decades without using any meat thermometers. When I started using them, my results became inconsistent because I drank the potion of belief that a butt is perfect for pulling at X temp. I even posted such advice here. I was wrong. Butts for pulling are done when they're butter tender, regardless of the temp. Temp is a guide, not a destination.

I find it interesting that you say 2 to 5° can make the difference between a good and bad butt but are saying temp ain’t as important. I’m not saying this to try and say you’re wrong, you’re obviously right, but I’m saying that’s why I freak out about using it because as you say 2 to 5° can make the difference and I’m not a good enough cook to be able to “eyeball” that without a gauge.

That does remind me, I’ve seen people pull to rest at various temperatures from 190 to 205 because of varying thoughts and some people agreeing that the temp will continue to go up while resting.. so.. any concrete thoughts lol

Depending on the cooking temp and the size of the meat. The IT can rise 5 to 10+ degrees as the meat rest. For instance, a Butt smoked at 225°F with an IT of 205 has an Interior Temp at 205 but the Exterior Temp is at 225°F. Because meat cooks as the Exterior heat is Conducted to the Interior, cooking it. Even out of the Smoker, the 225 exterior temp will still be conducted to the interior, hence the IT will continue to Rise and the meat continues to Cook.
We have to take Carryover into consideration when we Rest Meat. Uncovered on the counter, much of the exterior escapes into the surrounding air but because of the large mass the interior temp also rises about 5°F. An IT of 205 goes to 210. Not a huge deal. However, take the same Butt at 205, with the Perfect firm but pullable meat, and wrap in Foil, a couple of Towels and stick it in a Cooler for 2 hours, the insulated meat has ALL of the 225°F exterior heat conducted into the interior. Over the next 2 hours the IT rises to as much as 215 to 220°F and all that trapped heat is COOKING that meat another 2 hours. That Perfect Firm Pullable Pork turns into Mush! Is this a disaster? That depends on you and what texture you want the Pork to be.
The same Carryover happens with a Reverse Sear Beef Ribeye. The IT will go from 130, Medium, to 140 Med/Well because the exterior Searing Temp of 500°F continues to Cook the meat. Rest in a cooler for 2 hours, and the IT can go to 160°F and Well Done, Not Good!
Rest Adjustment Temp, is planning for Carryover and adjusting the IT you pull the meat out of the Smoker. If you want the final Butt IT to be 205°F and you have to Cooler Rest 2 hours while you travel to your Party destination, figure a Carryover of 10°F and pull and wrap the meat at 195°F and get that perfect firm but Pullable meat.
With the Ribeye if you want 130, pull the Roast out at 115 to 120. It will finish on the Counter. If you have to Cooler Rest to transport, pull the Roast when the IT reaches 100 to 115°F and let the Roast finish in the cooler to 130.
You will see posts with guys that take a Butt out at 205 and Probe Tender, what many consider perfectly cooked and Done, then INSIST the meat HAS to rest 2 Hours wrapped in a Cooler. This is fine if you want very soft, fine strands of soft Pulled Pork. If you prefer Shredded but firm Pulled Pork. Remove the pork at 205 and only rest on the counter 30 minutes. If you have to travel or the meat is going to be done faster than you planned, pull the Butt out at 190 to 195°F and let Carryover in the Cooler, finish the cook to 205 and Probe Tender.
This may seem complicated at first, but will become automatic thinking and good Rest Adjust in no time...JJ

If you are new to smoking, start simple and make only small changes each time you cook. Take notes on what you use, rubs, salt, how big the cut was, bone-in/out - how hot your cook is, air temp outside, did you let your meat come up to air temp before you smoke, how long was the stall, what smoke woods, etc. Everything effects the cook. Get addicted to variables. It's a great way to understand what's happening inside the cooker. I started very simple - heavy salt rub on the butt for 30 mins - leave on the counter at room temp. Heavy rub w/ pecan rub once the salt looks like it is dissolved in moisture on the butt. Smoke w/ pecan chunks at 225 - fat cap up. Spray w/ 50/50 apple juice/cider vinegar every hour once you get to 170 to 180 deg. Pull it and rest at 203 deg. Once you feel like you can repeat the results you like, then start making changes and taking notes.

Reactions: Jclear
F FreddieKU looks like you're getting some fine input. At some point the details can seem a bit overwhelming but rest assured this really is not difficult and pork butts are frankly one of the hardest things to botch. BTW: this is a good time to be taking good notes on your smoke so you can revisit them for the next go around. Always a good idea to maintain notes on all your smokes.

I know that I'm overwhelmed by all the great advice. Never thought my dumb question about brining a pork butt would turn into a detailed discussion about all the intricacies of smoking pork butts.

Thanks guys, this is an awesome forum.

Yeah, It is a lot of info to absorb. You don't have to learn it cold. Just keep it in the back of your mind when you make your plan. If Smoking at 225, figure about 2 hours per pound. When your IT gets to 200°F, probe for tenderness. If not going in without resistance, wait for the IT to get to 205 and Probe test again. If all is ready rest on the counter about 30 minutes and Pull the meat. Now add any drippings you saved and a Finishing Sauce, if desired, and serve. I like my Tangy Finishing Sauce, Post #12, IN the pork and my sweet KC Bubba Q Juice ON the meat. If the meat is getting done faster than you planned. Pull the Pork out at 195°F, double wrap in Foil and some Old Towels. Place in the smallest Cooler that fits the meat to rest and finish cooking. The Pork Butt will stay nice and hot for about 5 hours. Pull when ready and Sauce as desired...JJ

KC Bubba Q Juice

2C Ketchup
1/2C Brown Mustard (Gulden's)
1/4C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2C Molasses
2C Dark Brn Sugar
1T Tomato Paste
1T Your Rub
1-2tsp Liquid Smoke
1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all and warm over low heat just until it starts to bubble. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring very frequently, to combine flavors and to thicken slightly.
Use or pour into a sterile jar and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks

The use of thermometers by kitchen cooks and backyard pitmasters is a relatively new trend. People cooked and smoked tender meat for millenia without benefit of technology. A lot still do. They developed instincts with experience and practice. Thermometers can help accelerate experience, but is not a substitute.

What do you want? Tender meat. Smoke and cook the meat until it is butter tender, then check the temp. The next roast may finish at the same temp, or not. 2F-5F can make the difference between a dry, undercooked butt, and a juicy, tender one.

I cooked, grilled, and roasted meats for decades without using any meat thermometers. When I started using them, my results became inconsistent because I drank the potion of belief that a butt is perfect for pulling at X temp. I even posted such advice here. I was wrong. Butts for pulling are done when they're butter tender, regardless of the temp. Temp is a guide, not a destination.

Prime example ( no pun intended) is my last two picnic shoulder smokes were probe tender at 195 degrees.
I wanted the picnics for their big bones for making bone broth .
Eating lower on the hog has it's benefits too. :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: noboundaries
Prime example ( no pun intended) is my last two picnic shoulder smokes were probe tender at 195 degrees.
I wanted the picnics for their big bones for making bone broth .
Eating lower on the hog has it's benefits too. :emoji_sunglasses:

I like Smoking Shoulders or making Pernil...Pound for pound, Shoulders have less meat with more Bone and Fat than Butts. They will cook faster, get Probe Tender at a lower IT, than an equal weight Butt. This can be a good thing and Shoulders have Skin that can be removed and crisped up for you or your Quality Control Dogs to enjoy...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky